Any one for bondage? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Any one for bondage? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jim The Fish

Right I am a little confused regarding main and supplementary bonding?

Hers the scenario, I am wiring two outbuildings which are being used to rehabilitate dogs with muscular/skeletal issuses.

In one building there is a swimming pool, shower room and utility room. In the other is an office, kitchen and kennel area.

The buildings are supplied via a three phase TT system and all circuits rcd protected.

The incoming water and gas are supplied with plastic pipe with switches to copper just above floor level. The heating and water pipes drop out the boiler in copper switch to plastic run into the floor and pop up to the rads with a short piece of copper.

Am I right in thinking that as the supply pipes are plastic I need not install a main bond at the intakes? also if the rads are not introducing an earth potential they effectively do not count as extraneous parts and will not require supplementary bonding?

I am also a little confused on how to test if an item requires bonding, I seem to recall at college performing a continuity test between exposed and extraneous parts and checking this result falls beneath the 1667ohm limit to give a touch voltage of less than 50v. Was this test just used to prove the effectiveness of supplementary bonding or to prove the requirement for bonding?

If I want to prove there is no earth potential introduced by an extraneous part can I do an IR test between said part and the MET, if so what minimum reading should I look for?

Are there any other considerations to take to determine the requirement for supplementary/main bonding?

A lot of questions I know but please pardon my ignorance on these matters. I have spent all of my electrical working life on the motorways and I have only just started to take on domestic works so I am not used having to make these decisions as all our equipment cabinets have the same old earthing/ bonding arrangements.

Many thanks in advance for any help given it is all greatly appreciated.

Ta

Personally, even if the incomer is plastic, I still bond the water main on the copper consumer side. As for the question about supplementary bonding, as you said if the resistance between exposed and extraneous conductive parts is less than 1667 ohms then no need to supp bond as long as all circuits are 30mA RCD protected. TBH don't know much about regs where theres a pool, but I think it's the page after bath/shower in BRB.

In the BRB reg 702.411.3.3 states that all extraneous conductive parts in zone 0,1,2 shall be connected via supplementary bonding conductors to the protective conductors of exposed conductive parts of equipment situated in these zones, in accordance with reg 415.2

No ifs, no buts, nothing.

Well the definition of a extraneous conductive part is a conductive part liable to introduce a potential p, generally earth potential and not forming part of the electrical installation.

So my argument is that if the conductive parts do not introduce an earth potential are they no longer classified as an extraneous conductive part? Therefore eliminating the need for bonding?

You have to prove the parts are not extraneous-conductors. You can do that by testing their resistance to the MET and if it is greater than 22kΩ then the designer (you) can deem them as not being extraneous-conductors. The maths being 22000 + 1000 for the person touching it so 230V/23000Ω = 10mA which is deemed to be the max acceptable non dangerous current.

Reply to Any one for bondage? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net