Any plumbers on? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Any plumbers on? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparc

Walked backwards into this stopcock and it won't stop dribbling now. It's tight in the corner. I've found the isolator out on the street, but wanted to check what was best way of tackling this .... Is it a straight swop for a new on of the same - or don't they make these any longer? I'm concerned I'll take it off and find the replacement won't fit in the space ... then I'll have to start either cutting back the pipe, or trying to add some.

Luckily the dribble seems to be swallowed up in the hole below ... for now :icon9:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Any plumbers on?

BTW, there is normal gravity here - I just couldn't get the pic the right way up!

Also meant to add, the CU and cut-out are just above here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's leaking from where the spindle enters the body the top nut just needs tightening, but not too tight or the handle won't turn, I'd guess this is the area as there's definitely some staining there.
If it's from the compression joints connecting the pipe they will just need nipping up too.

Edit: Doh! Just seen the leak, just tighten up the top nut :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly try making sure the tap is fully open, sometimes old taps leak when they're part way closed. Secondly as Johnny suggested try tightening the gland nut 1/16th of a turn.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Any plumbers on?
    Drawing1 (3).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 31
If you open the tap right up it may stop it. Once they've been distrubed they're a pain if they leak. Easy to replace though, you'll just have to isolate in the street and drain down as that looks like the main stopcock. Even if it's an old imperial size (not 15mm) it'll still fit and the thread should be a match.

Stopcocks often leak from the stuffing gland on the spindle. If you can isolate up stream [do so] then slacken of gland nut on spindle and wrap PTFE tape around spindle, between gland nut and tap body. I usually put at leat 5 turns of PTFE tape on. Then close tap and tighten up gland nut. Return supply from up stream and then open stopcock., You should then not have a leaking stopcock anymore.

If you can not find an alternative means of isolation open taps down stream on same supply. This will reduce pressure whilst you sort out the PTFE tape on the spindle.

The same arrangements can be used if either of the back nuts/olives are leaking. But have a mop and bucket ready just in case.

Good luck!

Reply to Any plumbers on? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net