Any thoughts please.... flickering supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Any thoughts please.... flickering supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all...

Customer has flickering lights and seems to get worst when airsource heat pump is fired up.

Have checked all connnections are tight, tails etc, all ok ?

Could it be the incoming supply maybe, it's at the end of the line and overhead or am I missing something ?

Sy

Last edited:
Well those heat pumps use a lot of juice, and as you are at the end of line, volt drop may be an issue.

Have you measured the voltage at the light fittings when the pump is running???

had similar problem with a client. fluorescent lights in his offices were flickering. turned out he was running on 205 volts. only solution was a new supply from new tranny at nearest pole. cost him a bomb

Hi sythai,
Have you checked the fuse at the head?......I've had a few of these where the fuse/contacts overheat and discolours and softens the contacts.....bad contact and inconsistent supply the result.It would be apparent under load as the fuse holder will get noticably warm.....apologies if this is in egg sucking territory.

Hi sythai,
Have you checked the fuse at the head?......I've had a few of these where the fuse/contacts overheat and discolours and softens the contacts.....bad contact and inconsistent supply the result.It would be apparent under load as the fuse holder will get noticably warm.....apologies if this is in egg sucking territory.

ah- over here that's part of the supply

Can imagine they will try and deny all knowledge..... :(

Henleys, tails all good and tight that was my first thought loose neutral. Main fuse looked in good nick and wasn't getting warm, but might consider swapping for a new one which my kind friend at the DNO has given a few of (luckily someone has already cut the seals)

Chris.... yes eventually found out yesterday that couple of people down the lane also had probs. Wish I'd known this on Thursday evening before my 1.5 hour round trip through rush hour traffic, stress !! I just couldnt leave it, regular customer with young baby, right out in the sticks etc..... and I didnt get paid/charge for it, thats customer service for you :)

At the end of the day I would of still billed them.
I had a similar problem. What I did was made up a temp socket wired straight into supply. Put megger on volts setting in one socket and plugged kettle into other socket. Volts dropped big time.

DNO supply fault in the road.

Reply to Any thoughts please.... flickering supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net