Anyone used/bought the WAGO cable repair set with splicing connectors? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Anyone used/bought the WAGO cable repair set with splicing connectors? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Msitekkie

-
Arms
Reaction score
WAGO now do a cable repair kit with splicing connectors & heat-shrink tubing, which is a handy new method of being able to do compact cable repairs in the wall. cable repair set (207-5485/316-000) | WAGO - https://www.wago.com/global/installation-terminal-blocks-and-connectors/cable-repair-set/p/207-5485_316-000
Using their 2773-2401 splicing connectors (without levers) PUSH WIRE® Inline Splicing Connector (2773-2401) | WAGO - https://www.wago.com/global/installation-terminal-blocks-and-connectors/push-wire-inline-splicing-connector/p/2773-2401

I already have some of the splicing connectors however and am wanting to buy a length of the appropriate size heat-shrink (a combination that surely any electrician would want in their kit...). So really I am wanting to find out what size the heat shrink is (maybe 24mm - the kit mentions this as the maximum cable size). buying the heat shrink seems to be further complicated by the fact that some sellers seem to use the opened internal diameter size & others the lay flat width of the heat-shrink. The kit as such is quite expensive and I suspect it's a lot cheaper to buy the individual components.

Kits from Wago are generally hugely overpriced and (I imagine) sell solely for reasons of convenience.

Heatshrink is sold by pre-shrunk diameter and the majority of it has a 2:1 ratio, although 3M offer a selection with 3:1 ratio which is great (if expensive). To cover these connectors I'd imagine you'd need sleeving under 10mm, but that's an easy question to answer as you have them to hand.

It's worth keeping a selection of heatshrink tubing to cover all cable sizes and colours you're likely to work with.

It's 3 connectors per cable of course. I did experiment with some heat-shrink I have (too short to use unfortunately) and 24mm seemed about right to me (measured flat). I don't really want a length I am unlikely to use for anything else though if I get it wrong.
You can get 4:1 shrink ratio too, which I had in my head from somewhere was what they were using.

While spring tension connectors are generally considered to be maintenance free, I'd check manufacturer's instructions as that may require a suitable enclosure. I'd missed the part about this being for repairs within a wall and I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of them being plastered over - then again we don't plaster over any cables here, so I'm not sure how much of that discomfort is due to conditioning. I'd definitely want to heatshrink each conductor individually before sleeving the whole lot and the latter would be considerably easier if individual joints are staggered.

Reply to Anyone used/bought the WAGO cable repair set with splicing connectors? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net