Apprentiship Advise | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Apprentiship Advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryanmc_14

Alright guys .

wondering if I could have abit of advise .

I'm 19 and ive currently started an Electrical Engineering Maintenance Apprenticeship 3 year Program

4 Days at my work 1 day at college.

1st Year - Level 2
2nd Year - Level 3
3rd Year - NVQ

I left school at the age of 16 I completed a Diploma

Level 2 Electrical Installation
Level 3 Electrical Installation
17th Edition

Which ive passed all

I got good Grades at School

Maths : B
English : C
Science ; B
Engineering : AA

And a few more.

Ive been at my place of work for a week now , they make Poly in a factory and im being trained on fixing the machines mechanically & Electrically.

I feel though that this is way out of my led and its hard to understand whats actually happening.

My Practical skills arnt the best but at the moment im just fetching tools cleaning up organizing and doing checks on machines in the morning to insure Guards and Cabinets are locked in place , emergency stops are intact that all Boards have padlocks on so operators cant access the board.

Also do fire alarm checks on wednesdays.

I just feel like I dont know enough , often bringing over the wrong spanner , or screw/bolts.

I do 8-5 Monday - Friday, so ill be spending alot of time there.

I just want some advise , on what I should do and how everyone else felt when they 1st started off training.

Thanks for any help guys.

Alright guys .

I'm 19 and ive currently started an Electrical Engineering Maintenance Apprenticeship 3 year Program

1st Year - Level 2
2nd Year - Level 3
3rd Year - NVQ

17th Edition

Which ive passed all

Science ; B

And a few more.

Ive been at my place of work for a week now , they make Poly in a factory and im being trained on fixing the machines mechanically & Electrically.

I feel though that this is way out of my led and its hard to understand whats actually happening.

My Practical skills arnt the best but at the moment im just fetching tools cleaning up organizing and doing checks on machines in the morning to insure Guards and Cabinets are locked in place , emergency stops are intact that all Boards have padlocks on so operators cant access the board.

I just feel like I dont know enough , often bringing over the wrong spanner , or screw/bolts.

I just want some advise , on what I should do and how everyone else felt when they 1st started off training.

Stick with it Ryan. It well get easier.

Well done for getting the job, apart from the maintenance side, are you getting any installation work.? You need real hands on.

We don't install circuits , but we do add to existing ones , but its mainly fixing the motors .. and machinery.

for example on one of the Munchy machine the SPA 1400 Belt snapped and needed replacing , so we isolated the circuit and exchanged the new belt for the old.

Fair play, I have never worked on machinery, and very little on motors, just an cable monkey but a good one. lol Stick with it, then branch out into the big world of this great industry, I am bi est in installation work because that's all I have done.

Fair play, I have never worked on machinery, and very little on motors, just an cable monkey but a good one. lol Stick with it, then branch out into the big world of this great industry, I am bi est in installation work because that's all I have done.

Everyone has there own opinion mate :)

I Would of preferred do do domestic work , but this is interesting too , im young enough I can also root out and try different things :)

I would stick with it until you are that sick of it you can't face going in, then you will know it's not for you :D

Don't worry about not knowing enough that's what the apprenticeship is for, experience. If you learn from the things you get wrong you will prove yourself in no time. Show a bit of initiative and you will impress your peers regardless. You have already shown initiative by asking on here for advice.

A maintenance position may not always be your end position, but you will get a great grounding there I would imagine.

I felt like this ryan at first, i did my apprenticeship on site wiring new build homes. My gaffer was on price so had very little time to teach and even less patience. You will make mistakes and you will be an utter nuisance but thats what its about. I was practically a glorified cleaner when i started, all i did was clean up rubbish, run to the van to get the tool that 'I' forgot. I also did the nasty jobs and lived in insulated attics. Then after about 8 months i grasped the basics and stated to wire circuits, drill plots, graduated from sockets to actually standing up(My Gosh!). Its all a journey to becoming qualified and its a tough ordeal but having said that it will turn you in to a man and help mature you. You will also have a great work ethic and be part of the elite group of QUALIFIED ELECTRICIANS. 4 years down the line and i have my own company van and tools and have started to run my own sites and learn a more managerial side to the trade. I found i learnt more when i was qualified anyway, so dig in lighten up and remember to have fun, just have a bit of banter when you mess up or laugh it off. Good Luck!

Ryan stick with it mate, a lot of apprentices would kill for a chance to work in that environment. Working with motors and machinery will be a fantastic addition to your portfolio and will stand you in good stead for your future.
As regards all the checks you are doing this is also a good learning curve for you safety is paramount in the industrial sector as it is in Domestic.
Stay with it and the rewards will come your way, I can't imagine doing anything other than industrial and commercial.

Alright guys .

1st Year - Level 2
2nd Year - Level 3
3rd Year - NVQ

17th Edition

Which ive passed all

Science ; B

And a few more.

Typical old school apprenticeship Ryan, takes me back to mine 50 0dd years ago, bring the wrong tolls get an earful from the Sparky (happy days) your turn will come, stick with it, honestly it will get better

I Would of preferred do do domestic work , but this is interesting too , im young enough I can also root out and try different things :)

Stick with Industrial mechanical mate, do your time, learn everything you can and forget about Domestic for now. (without sounding condescending) Your only 19 years old, get this 3 year apprenticeship under your belt before even thinking about moving into the domestic side of the game, it is not all that good.

Sounds like you've cracked it tbh mate, an apprenticeship is rarely a full on practical learning experience, pay as much attention as possible, do the monkey work that comes with it, be as eager to learn as possible and put the hours in out of work, ie college and forums like this, get your trade then you will learn more in a year than you did in 3/4 years of being an apprentice! As has been said, you're in a position that thousands would love to be in!

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone that commented took the time to read and reply I really appreciate it and im not a normal 19 year old that goes out gets drunk and doesn't care about my future. , you have all helped me out ive been waiting for this opportunity for years , and , It will come with experience and time .

Thanks guys.

Reply to Apprentiship Advise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net