Approx re-wire length of time? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Approx re-wire length of time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all.

I know it all depends on routes, snags etc and you havent seen the property but I'm after an approx length of time (give or take) you would expect this rewire to take for one electrician.

5 bedrooms, lounge, dining room, kitchen, playroom and 3 bathrooms. Also 3 landings to have lights and switches.

All rooms will require all sockets and switches to be chased out with an average of 6 sockets per room and 1 light. Also an aerial point in each room.

Kitchen will have spotlights and electric cooker. No electric showers but extractor fan and shaver point in each bathroom. Couple of outside lights. Supply to fed 2 way C.U in outside store room.

As I said, there are a lot of factors involved so just after a rough idea.

Cheers

I'd have to agree with the three weeks, especially as you said it is and old house - lots of lovely lime render to fall off every time you show it a wall chaser or SDS.
I'd even add a couple more days if you have to make good as well - you'll end up with (on average) half a wall per room to re-render.

I would say the timescale sounds about right, but if it's empty and there is not much else going on in the way of other trades, you might be surprised how quick it goes in.

I'd be surprised if many had experience with cob walls though :S

Hi all.

I know it all depends on routes, snags etc and you havent seen the property but I'm after an approx length of time (give or take) you would expect this rewire to take for one electrician.

5 bedrooms, lounge, dining room, kitchen, playroom and 3 bathrooms. Also 3 landings to have lights and switches.

All rooms will require all sockets and switches to be chased out with an average of 6 sockets per room and 1 light. Also an aerial point in each room.

Kitchen will have spotlights and electric cooker. No electric showers but extractor fan and shaver point in each bathroom. Couple of outside lights. Supply to fed 2 way C.U in outside store room.

As I said, there are a lot of factors involved so just after a rough idea.

Cheers

Is that 1 Electrician + a mate/laborer??? because any rewire on your own would be rather difficult.

One electrician and possibly help from a non tradesman for pulling cable

I see you are an Apprentice, and from that I deduce (my middle name is Sherlock, not really) that you may only have limited experience in rewiring a property of this size. You mention possible help from a non tradesman to pull in cables, I assume this would be a mate of yours.

It would be difficult for a non trades person to understand what is required when asked to do this that and the other, you would be spending most of your time explaining what is actually required, not sure of what stage you are in your training, but are you confident in what is required? do you have a mentor for this project? I'm not trying to put you down, honestly, as you can learn from practical experience, personally I wouldn't like to try rewiring a property of that size relying on occasional non technical help.

I completely understand what your saying.

I'm not far off being qualified but will be mentored throughout. I have done a fair bit of chasing but have limited domestic experience.

I'm capable of doing it but won't be speedy gonzalez!

I completely understand what your saying.

I'm not far off being qualified but will be mentored throughout. I have done a fair bit of chasing but have limited domestic experience.

I'm capable of doing it but won't be speedy gonzalez!

Who will be testing and signing the certificates, I'm sorry mate, but I still think you will be biting off more than can chew.

Well i say good on you for having the guts to go for it! But I hope your not going to give a fixed price for the job? Because as these guys say 3 weeks but for a first timer and all the tracks your going to have to chase, that's the easy part you still have to get them in to the floor spaces and i think your going to be looking at nearer 4 weeks work i sure wouldn't give a fixed price! Only an estimate with an explanation that you don't know what your going to find until your working on it. The owners may be more forgiving hearing upfront honesty. Last thing you want is finding yourself having to pay for some of it yourself there would be nothing worse and soon eats in to any profit.

Well i say good on you for having the guts to go for it! But I hope your not going to give a fixed price for the job? Because as these guys say 3 weeks but for a first timer and all the tracks your going to have to chase, that's the easy part you still have to get them in to the floor spaces and i think your going to be looking at nearer 4 weeks work i sure wouldn't give a fixed price! Only an estimate with an explanation that you don't know what your going to find until your working on it. The owners may be more forgiving hearing upfront honesty. Last thing you want is finding yourself having to pay for some of it yourself there would be nothing worse and soon eats in to any profit.

If I was the homeowner that would be all I needed to hear to go and get a fixed price quote from elsewhere.

This is for a family member so length of time isn't much of an issue and will be charging very little.

When I said mentor I just meant the person overlooking me as I am not fully qualified at the moment.

Reply to Approx re-wire length of time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net