Are chrome/steel sockets safe? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Are chrome/steel sockets safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Newbie_1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All.

I am doing up a new home and wanted to change all the plastic sockets and switches to chrome or steel as I feel it adds a more modern and elegant look to the home however I have been told that these aren’t considered safe and there is a chance of electric shock if I were to have chrome/steel as opposed to the current plastic. Of course I want to be safe so don’t want to change to anything that may potentially cause danger. Is anyone able to advise here or shed more light on the chrome/steel sockets? I’m new to this and haven’t heard this before and they seem to be so popular. Are they really unsafe and how likely is it that one would get an electric shock if one were to install those sockets over plastic?

Attached is the white plastic one I currently have (very dated) and another photo of the one I want.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Are chrome/steel sockets safe?
    5875787D-F0DA-4C92-86DD-2E2EC8D7CB72.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 5
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] Are chrome/steel sockets safe?
    3219B78F-E070-4808-B5C7-2BE3D78C27D3.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 5
You will find that they either have a bond (link) between the earth terminal and the casing or vice-versa. Assuming that you have a working earth, correct polarity and aren't a spoon when fitting them you should be fine! They have to adhere to certain BS standards to even get sold in the UK.

If they were not safe manufacturers would not produce them. One thing to check before buying the light switches is to check the existing switch points have an earth to the back box as this will be required to connect to the plate of the new switch. It is assumed the sockets are correctly earthed and should pose no problem.

Ah....... one thought: Make sure your lighting circuit/s have an earth - if in any doubt have an electrician check for you.

Reply to Are chrome/steel sockets safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net