Armoured Cable Colours Question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Armoured Cable Colours Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to run an SWA cable to get power to a cabin. I have a 4mm 3 core cable, cores are brown, black and grey. Is that OK, live brown, neutral black and earth grey with green/yellow sleeve over.

Thanks
Mick

Nooooo

You will give people kittens suggesting such a thing

Brown live
Grey neutral
Black earth

Various niceic inspectors have told me never ever to use the black on new cable as neutral

I always sleeve black as earth and grey as neutral

Various niceic inspectors have told me never ever to use the black on new cable as neutral

I always sleeve black as earth and grey as neutral

Did they say why?

it's becoz the elite want to dissassociate black from neutral. jus a s a point, i voted NO to the EU common mistake in c. 1072, and have been totally against the EU since. all those that voted to join, hang your heads. otherwise we'd still be on red/yellow/blue/black, as it was ordained in the first testament of Nicola Tesla (RIP).

There’s a diagram in the BBB somewhere showing the change in colours.
Red turns to brown
Yellow turns to black
Blue turns to grey and
Black turns to blue.

If you were using 3 core in old colours it would be line red, cpc yellow and neutral blue.
Just follow the diagram and black and grey are cpc and neutral respectively.

Saying that, as long as it’s identified and it makes sense to make any new cables match what already may be in the installation.

Pages 484 and 485. Appendix 7
Table 7C specifically for a 3 core SWA

Still not seeing where it states which to use as a cpc.

Don't you start putting up irritating videos:mad:

There’s nowhere in BS7671 that says Black must be used for Earth, and Grey for Neutral.
This is just an idea put forward by the NICEIC, and their reason is to disassociate Black from Neutral.
Unfortunately, they have never explained why we should disassociate Black from Neutral.

To answer the OP, use whatever colour you like, as long as you use the same colour at each end of the cable.
Identify the conductors at the terminations, either by colour or alphanumerically.

Many thanks for all the answers. One more question, the cable will be buried about 700mm deep, I assume that I need a warning tape above it, what depth should the tape be?
Thanks
Mick

it's becoz the elite want to dissassociate black from neutral. jus a s a point, i voted NO to the EU common mistake in c. 1072, and have been totally against the EU since. all those that voted to join, hang your heads. otherwise we'd still be on red/yellow/blue/black, as it was ordained in the first testament of Nicola Tesla (RIP).
Found this today and though of you.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Armoured Cable Colours Question

Many thanks for all the answers. One more question, the cable will be buried about 700mm deep, I assume that I need a warning tape above it, what depth should the tape be?
Thanks
Mick

When back filling, lay the warning tape across the top of the first layer.
Don’t put it straight over the cable..
The person digging in the future needs there to be enough depth not to damage the cable when they hit the tape..

Reply to Armoured Cable Colours Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net