Armoured Cable Earth | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Armoured Cable Earth in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geds0

Advice please - I am in the process of connecting up to a newly constructed raised pond using armoured cable with glands etc. I have an existing SWA feed into a plastic junction box on an external wall/fence where original pond was located. Have laid out new SWA which at pond end will be fed into junction box and thereafter fed into Blagdon 5 switch box (i cant feed SWA into switch box as it is too wide). Although SWA is 3 core I have been advised to connect the two SWA lengths in the junction box using banjo's/earth wire for additional earthing. Is this correct and are their alternatives to plastic junction boxes for SWA which appear to be extremely flimsy? My concern with the plastic is that I have a young labrador dog that tends to chew everything and anything.
Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to maintain earth continuity of the SWA for both pieces of cable, banjos are one method, could also try piranha nuts (google earth nuts).

My preferred plastic box is a 'Wiska' box, not as flimsy, and if you have 2 SWAs you can't join the SWA in the box you have to do it outside the box using banjos.

Thanks yellowvanman for advice. Can you clarify joining of 2 SWA's outside of box. Why is this necessary i.e. outside?. Incidentally have ordered wispa box with connecting bar presumably earth continuity is maintained via this method inside box?
Secondly at the termination of the SWA in a (second) junction box I am dropping down to a 3 core water proof cable to connect to a twin RCB protected waterproof socket box, does the earth need to continue to the socket box, if so how?

As your asking more basic electrical questions i'm starting to feel that perhaps this job may be a little beyond the remit of a DIY job. Any electrics outside the equipotential zones is extremely dangerous hence why this job would be classed as notifiable.

I would strongly advise you perhaps contacting a local scheme approved electrician to help you with this.

Thanks Malcolm for advice. As I don't know the meaning of 'equipotential zones' nor can I get my head around the various pieces of advice on the net and others re: earth bonding I intend calling in electrian as suggested. Incidently, this was to be an extension of an existing supply previously completed by an electrician as I had to move a pond and filters/pumps etc.15 metres further down the garden due to building works next door.

That is a sensible thing to do and you won't regret that mate. Yes but as your fitting new cable as in your OP that will be classed as notifiable to the local building control.

The equipotential zone is your safety zone withing your house, ie your eathing and bonding of pipes. Once you start work outside of the home your outside your equipotential zone and electrical faults can take on a whole different persona

You need to maintain earth continuity of the SWA for both pieces of cable, banjos are one method, could also try piranha nuts (google earth nuts).

My preferred plastic box is a 'Wiska' box, not as flimsy, and if you have 2 SWAs you can't join the SWA in the box you have to do it outside the box using banjos.

Wiska make an earth bar that fits inside the wiska box and has 2 x 20mm threads and screw for earth flying lead so you can ensure earth continuity. They also make single nuts that go inside the wiska box. Hope this helps.

So why dont you use galve boxes ready to take the glands as they are threaded you can also use a conex connector with flex in to get to the switch box ,and use galve seals and lids , and if the connections are permernant you could fill the box with resin well sealed then

Reply to Armoured Cable Earth in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net