Armoured outside lights... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Armoured outside lights... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cal_dood

i did some outside lights not too long ago and the client who was also a sparky wanted me to gland the armoured into a conduit box, then take the inner sheath straight through and out the other side (through a compression gland) and into the light fitting. Is this a good practice or should i avoid doing this?? this obviously meant that the boxes weren't earthed apart from what earthing the armouring on the cable gave it.

i did some outside lights not too long ago and the client who was also a sparky wanted me to gland the armoured into a conduit box, then take the inner sheath straight through and out the other side (through a compression gland) and into the light fitting. Is this a good practice or should i avoid doing this?? this obviously meant that the boxes weren't earthed apart from what earthing the armouring on the cable gave it.

I read this several times before I twigged to the fact that it was a conduit box with no provision for a banjo. Also that it was Lights ie plural. How did you get from light to light?

My take on armour is that it need only be earthed at one end (preferably the supply end), ie effectively as extranious metal work, unless the armour is also being used as the cpc. You do not say how the cable was terminated at the source end. If the cable was properly earthed at the source end, and the armour earth ing was continuious to each light then it seems OK electrically.

However, you do not say how the cable was protected beteen the conduit box and the light fitting, or did the light fitting totally cover the inner core of the SWA? Assuming it was a modern plastic light fitting with an entry KO, I would have thought it better to join the two wtih a short length of conduit rather than a compression gland. If it were a metal light then I would have taken the SWA right into the llight. BUT I'm making too many assumptions.

Reply to Armoured outside lights... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net