At what voltage should a 1.5V battery be replaced? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss At what voltage should a 1.5V battery be replaced? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I used two 1.5v batteries for the remote AC. (AAA/R03P/1.5V) and Its expiration time is 03.2025.
The battery is weak, and the air conditioner cannot be turned on. I replaced it with two new batteries and the problem was solved.

I measured the voltage of both batteries. They are 1.54 volts. Why did they weaken and not work on remote AC? The voltage is 1.5 volts and they look good.

Hello,

I used two 1.5v batteries for the remote AC. (AAA/R03P/1.5V) and Its expiration time is 03.2025.
The battery is weak, and the air conditioner cannot be turned on. I replaced it with two new batteries and the problem was solved.

I measured the voltage of both batteries. They are 1.54 volts. Why did they weaken and not work on remote AC? The voltage is 1.5 volts and they look good.

Always difficult to judge the capacity of a battery just by measuring the open circuit voltage. A multimeter presents no load - once the battery is under any load the voltage will drop.

And never use cheapy batteries. Definitely not the ones where you get twenty for a pound!

Always difficult to judge the capacity of a battery just by measuring the open circuit voltage. A multimeter presents no load - once the battery is under any load the voltage will drop.

And never use cheapy batteries. Definitely not the ones where you get twenty for a pound!
Thanks, If I want to test the voltage of a battery, I should buy a battery load tester? Don't we have another method?

Thanks, If I want to test the voltage of a battery, I should buy a battery load tester? Don't we have another method?

There are battery testers available fairly cheaply, but to be honest I would just swap the batteries when your remote stops working.

You could put a 50 ohm resistor in parrellel with the meter leads that should load enough to simulate a remote, though as above easier to change them when remote range reduces or stops.good quality batteries should last many months

Just to add that the date marked on Alkaline batteries is typically 5 to 10 years after the manufacturing date. For example Duracell is marked 10 years ahead of manufacture date I believe. It indicates the period for which the battery should be good to use, but obviously the actual expiration of useful output from the battery depends on how much current is drawn, and how long for. It's normal for batteries given any sort of significant load to die long before the expiry date printed on the side!
The date of 2025 on your battery indicates it was made between say 4 and 9 years ago!

Last edited:
Quite often the problem is a poor contact between the battery and the terminals it connects to. The act of replacing the battery with a new one will likely improve the contact and fix the problem, but so would just removing and replacing the old one.

Quite often the problem is a poor contact between the battery and the terminals it connects to. The act of replacing the battery with a new one will likely improve the contact and fix the problem, but so would just removing and replacing the old one.

Indeed. And always worth giving the batteries a few spins while in place - sometimes cleans the contact areas up a bit.

Reply to At what voltage should a 1.5V battery be replaced? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net