Audio problems - Xbox 360 headset | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Audio problems - Xbox 360 headset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jason3483748374

Hi, im not sure if this is the right place to find a solution but here is my problem...

Ive been trying to connect my external headset to my 360 controller.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Audio problems - Xbox 360 headset

My headset 100% works. i bought a cable that seperates the mic and headphones which also work 100%, ive tested them on my pc. i bought a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male so i can plug it in my controller. Lastly i bough a adapter designed to allow it to work.

Nothing works. The first picture detects i have a microphone but doesnt seem to record anything.

The second image just doesnt detect anything, audio or microphone.

The third image is the closest i can get. It picks up audio and plays it into my headset. detects my mic but just doesnt record it.

My controller and headset port also work 100% because ive got an official xbox headset that works.

One person said its because of the amount of rings on each jack. My headset has 3 green rings, the 2 ends of the white splitter both has 2 green rings, the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter has 3 black rings, but the xbox adapter in the last image and also the official xbox headset both have 2 black rings.

Apparently its not converting the stero signal? or something

anybody help me out?

I think this should go on an audio or DIY site. If this forum is anything like the others, only professionals are allowed to post here.

The forum is open to anyone who wants to join be it a seasoned professional to a interested DIYer hence we have many different areas appropriate to members of differing levels of electrical knowledge.

Hi, im not sure if this is the right place to find a solution but here is my problem...

Ive been trying to connect my external headset to my 360 controller.

View attachment 28675

My headset 100% works. i bought a cable that seperates the mic and headphones which also work 100%, ive tested them on my pc. i bought a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male so i can plug it in my controller. Lastly i bough a adapter designed to allow it to work.

Nothing works. The first picture detects i have a microphone but doesnt seem to record anything.

The second image just doesnt detect anything, audio or microphone.

The third image is the closest i can get. It picks up audio and plays it into my headset. detects my mic but just doesnt record it.

My controller and headset port also work 100% because ive got an official xbox headset that works.

One person said its because of the amount of rings on each jack. My headset has 3 green rings, the 2 ends of the white splitter both has 2 green rings, the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter has 3 black rings, but the xbox adapter in the last image and also the official xbox headset both have 2 black rings.

Apparently its not converting the stero signal? or something

anybody help me out?

It's looking like you have a mixture of both Mono & Stereo jacks.

Take it back to where you bought it from, tell them what you've said here and you want one that works the way you want it to.

Edit: Or you could try here: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/computer-networking-forum/

The forum is open to anyone who wants to join be it a seasoned professional to a interested DIYer hence we have many different areas appropriate to members of differing levels of electrical knowledge.

My apologies, I take back what I said. I am just used to other forums like Mike Holt which forbid DIY, but if this place does not I have no issue then. Again my apologies to the OP.

There are a few traps for the unwary. First, two different standards exist for headset-with-mic 4-pole 'TRRS' jacks, OMTP with mic on ring 2 and gnd on sleeve, and CTIA with those two reversed. It is possible that the headset and/or breakout Y-cord are oppositely wired. Next problem is that different brands of product detect the connected device in different ways. Some sense only the DC resistance - typically 1.6k mic-gnd will detect as a headset but not on every device - others need the AC impedance to be correct too. So some headsets will not be detected by some devices.

I am sorry there is no sure-fire solution unless you can test the resistances etc with a multimeter, or one happens to know the behaviour of that particular combination from previous experience. Many are the times I have had to make custom adaptors for corporate clients who want to connect some device or system to a phone or laptop headset jack, after none of their AV guys have been able to make it work!

Geordie - I don't think it's mono vs. stereo as I take his '3 rings' to mean a 4-pole TRRS jack (stereo L/S with mic) and '2 rings' to be TRS (stereo speaker or separately biased mic).

I think this should go on an audio or DIY site. If this forum is anything like the others, only professionals are allowed to post here.

I put it in this section because it would get the poster a wider audience and also it sometimes makes a nice change to get a different type of question on the forum, instead of rcd and garage questions.

There are a few traps for the unwary. First, two different standards exist for headset-with-mic 4-pole 'TRRS' jacks, OMTP with mic on ring 2 and gnd on sleeve, and CTIA with those two reversed. It is possible that the headset and/or breakout Y-cord are oppositely wired. Next problem is that different brands of product detect the connected device in different ways. Some sense only the DC resistance - typically 1.6k mic-gnd will detect as a headset but not on every device - others need the AC impedance to be correct too. So some headsets will not be detected by some devices.

I am sorry there is no sure-fire solution unless you can test the resistances etc with a multimeter, or one happens to know the behaviour of that particular combination from previous experience. Many are the times I have had to make custom adaptors for corporate clients who want to connect some device or system to a phone or laptop headset jack, after none of their AV guys have been able to make it work!

Geordie - I don't think it's mono vs. stereo as I take his '3 rings' to mean a 4-pole TRRS jack (stereo L/S with mic) and '2 rings' to be TRS (stereo speaker or separately biased mic).

Thank you. :)

I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject and stand erected.:sailor:

You do realise that you're an endangered species around here don't you? .... A Mod that thinks! :)

They broke the mould when they made me matey!!!

Reply to Audio problems - Xbox 360 headset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back