bakery oven | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss bakery oven in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone got experience in installing 3 phase baking equipment?

I've been told the proposed baking oven is rated at 57kw, 85A per phase (as stated on the legend plate), does this sound right?

I know the industrial unit service fuses are 100A per phase which feeds a square d 3 phase board along with a 63A switch fuse to feed heating/extraction.

I still need to get more info but by the sounds of it this oven is going to require more power than this system will be able to handle, unless i've missed something?

also anyone know the biggest 3 phase mcb square d manafacture?

thanks

Sounds like it could be correct. It would be a large industrial oven at that power but I've seen some up to about 80KW or 120Amps per phase.

Definitely need a service upgrade! Even 200A wouldn’t give much headroom for ancillary equipment along with existing heating etc. The upgrade is going to be expensive so think carefully. You’re not going to be popular a couple of years down the line if you’ve under estimated the supply.

I have been called to a bakery , they were blowing there main fuses ,when i got to site they gave me a fuse 400 amps and they were blowing them , the supply cable was 185mm and red hot so i advised them to not use the oven till i had done a consumption survey , when they moved into the premisis they had an electrical contractor inspect the property , only problem was they didnt look at the consumption, they has 4 57kw oven and 4 blast freezers drawing 27kw and when i clap tested the load they were drawing 435 amps per phase all i could do is advise a supply upgrade or change the ovens to gas , but the gas supply wasnt big enough to cope with the additional ovens, its now almost 12 months since i was on site they have now replaced the electric ovens to gas and the supply is stable drawing 185 amps per phase at peak , on forgot to say they were blowing supply fuses at 2 a day till they got the problem sorted each fuse was 400 amps and £25.00 each for 12 months , so what i recomend you do is get there and work out the maximum demand and see if the supply will handle the extra load

may be worth checking as most bakery ovens are only used at night and other equipment during the day, in saying that they do normally use prooving fridges which soon tot up.

Depends on the bakery the one i was working on runs 24 hours a day

Hence i said check.

most of these ovens are made up of five units and they don't always use them all.
I'm saying this as i do a lot for greggs and bakers ovens chains and for the daytime loads are alot higher in the shop side than at the rear bakery side as most is done at night with only top-up buns etc on one or two ovens during the day.

I think most bakeries prefer Gas Ovens, they are far more controlable, and cheaper to run.

I hope the area where this new oven is to be located, has an available DNO supply that can give your client a 200A supply, There a many built-up area's around now, that haven't got that sort of power readily available, there systems already nearing there limits...

I think most bakeries prefer Gas Ovens, they are far more controlable, and cheaper to run.

I hope the area where this new oven is to be located, has an available DNO supply that can give your client a 200A supply, There a many built-up area's around now, that haven't got that sort of power readily available, there systems already nearing there limits...

We have been running max demand on many shops recently for that sole reason, they keep putting more and more gear in the shop and its starting to top out on the supplies and the board can't supply any more in some places.

can only speak of greggs or bakers ovens (same comp) as they only use electric throughout the country.

We have been running max demand on many shops recently for that sole reason, they keep putting more and more gear in the shop and its starting to top out on the supplies and the board can't supply any more in some places.

can only speak of greggs or bakers ovens (same comp) as they only use electric throughout the country.

Won't be long then, before they will have to start buying in Gas powered equipment, that's if the shops have a gas supply!! Many of the newer shops don't, and quite a few of the older ones too, were never provided with a gas supply. Still i suppose they can always go with a bulk storage gas supply, if there tenancy agreement allows them, that is!! ... lol!!!

yes they always have done, they slowly are getting replaced with newer ones. I think they cook more even so i'm told than the gas and have less maintenance costs. also many locations have no gas supply.

i'll tell ya -you learn something new everyday

i just assumed nearly everyplace in UK had mains gas-obviously not

i was on bakery maintenance and callout for years-going back a bit
all the ovens were oil-fired if memory serves

what i've found out is that the equipment dealer has purchased the 85A per phase oven for my customers bakery with the understanding that her unit had a 150A per phase supply, which turns out to be just 100A when i came to inspect it! A 63A oven was originally specified however this larger oven was what was available to the dealer. So the matter now is deciding whether the 100A supply can cope with the de-rated now 63A oven along with the rest of the installation.

Reply to bakery oven in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net