Bathroom Ceiling Light - Zone 1/2/neither? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bathroom Ceiling Light - Zone 1/2/neither? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

///ajd

Hi,

A while ago, I installed an IP44 rated (Zone 1/2?) light in my bathroom - this replaced an existing 240v light.

Here is a picture...

[ElectriciansForums.net] Bathroom Ceiling Light - Zone 1/2/neither?

...it is not over the bath as such, but it is near the edge. It is clearly >225cm from the floor. What zone is this, given the regs below (I know zone 3 has gone now)? The treatment of the ceiling is a bit vague in the regs the way I read them.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Bathroom Ceiling Light - Zone 1/2/neither?

Just had an electrician round who says it may need to be something like IP56 - but he was a bit vague. I appreciate the showerhead complicates matters somewhat, but I am pretty sure I'm going to decommission the shower when I rent the house out anyway (mainly from a fear of tenants causing general water damage etc.).

So opinions please - both with/without shower in use.

I would really appreciate, if you feel there is a problem, what solution you'd recommend - i.e. type of light, from where, how fitted etc. for minimum cost & disruption to the existing holes in ceiling and wiring etc.

Thanks in advance!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

So officially, if the zone is neither, I could fit any old light in that space without an IP rating?

Surely it should be at least a Zone 2 e.g. IP44 fitting?

Technically, if the lights are above 2.25m from the finished floor level then they are outside the zones.

However, the light fitting should still be suitable for the environment which it is installed in (steam etc.)

I would say IP44 is ok as that protects against splashing water.

IP56 is a bit OTT in my opinion as I doubt the lights are going to be subject to powerful water jets (unless you clean the bathroom with a pressure washer :D).

Thanks for the reply.

So officially, if the zone is neither, I could fit any old light in that space without an IP rating?

Well yes and no as JUD said they do need to be suitable for the environment, steam being the issue really as you have a shower, anything IP X4 and up would be fine.

But IMHO if you just had a bath then really anything would be ok,( prepares to be shouted at :p)

Thanks for the replies.

Just been to B&Q and noticed that the light I bought (Dizzo 2 lamp) is now not marked IP44 on the packaging. Strange as I could have sworn that I checked it had this rating when I bought it (2 years ago). Maybe they changed the rating. Looks like I might need to buy another anyway to be on the safe side as teh original box is long gone.

Reply to Bathroom Ceiling Light - Zone 1/2/neither? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net