Bathroom supplementary bonding | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Bathroom supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Continuity is the cause of danger and the need for bonding.

It would be better if ALL the pipes entering a bathroom were fitted with isolating plastic sections (ideally a bit longer than a plastic elbow) then all the pipework in the bathroom would be electrically isolated.

No earth paths, no touch voltage, no bonding - definitely no bonding, no worries.

So, when you have a pipe which has been electrically isolated then purposely connecting it again MAY be reintroducing hazards which had been removed.

What are you on?! Continuity is exactly what we need to EQUALISE the potential between all extraneous and exposed conductive parts.

230V on the bath tap and 230V on the basin tap means no potential difference between them and no belt if touching them at the same time.

A lovely little idea these plastic isolating sections! How are you planning on isolationg the rather conductive liquid running through them though???

What are you on?! Continuity is exactly what we need to EQUALISE the potential between all extraneous and exposed conductive parts.
But not isolated parts - door handle, toilet roll holder.

230V on the bath tap and 230V on the basin tap means no potential difference between them and no belt if touching them at the same time.
No potential between 230V on the basin tap and isolated toilet roll holder either.

A lovely little idea these plastic isolating sections! How are you planning on isolationg the rather conductive liquid running through them though???
Should be no need to bond water pipes at all then.

I'm done, I can't have a debate with someone who's against preserving an effective connection to earth through a PVC join.

The regs are black and white when it comes to supp bonding. Every extraneous and exposed conductive part in a room containing a bath or shower shall have an effective connection to earth, if any don't have this, it needs supp bonding.

That PVC join under the bath tub doesn't isolate the taps from earth, it just makes it a poor connection. Solution? Bond it, simples. There's no argument to be had.

I'm done, I can't have a debate with someone who's against preserving an effective connection to earth through a PVC join.
Removing the connection to earth, if possible, would be preferable.

The regs are black and white when it comes to supp bonding.
Connecting a part to earth is not supplementary bonding.

Every extraneous and exposed conductive part in a room containing a bath or shower shall have an effective connection to earth,
Parts are extraneous because they have a connection to earth in which case they may require bonding.

if any don't have this, it needs supp bonding.
If they are not connected to earth (>23kΩ to MET) then they should not be earthed - it would not be bonding.

That PVC join under the bath tub doesn't isolate the taps from earth, it just makes it a poor connection. Solution? Bond it, simples.
That could be so which is why I said 'MAY' in my previous post but reconnecting to earth without testing is incorrect.

There's no argument to be had.
There shouldn't be.

Removing the connection to earth, if possible, would be preferable.

I agree, plastic incomer and pipework throughout would be safer IMHO, but it will take a lot more than just a meter or so of PVC pipe to remove this connection.

Connecting a part to earth is not supplementary bonding.

I never said it was.

Parts are extraneous because they have a connection to earth in which case they may require bonding.

Just because it is extraneous doesn't mean it's EFFECTIVLY connected to earth. To be effectively connected to earth it is widely accepted that 0.05ohms is the figure to use between the part and the MET to ascertain whether its connection is effective or not.

If they are not connected to earth (>23kΩ to MET)

Then they wouldn't be extraneous would they and are irrelevant to this debate.

Last edited:
Fence sitter! :D

Moi?
Neva:)

Anyway...............if everything was done in plastic pipe you domestic guys wouldn't be able to shake your head and suck through your teeth with the.............." ooooo sorry pet looks like your earthing and bonding need sorted out asap"
"bit dangerous that is.............and while I'm here blah blah"
(Allegedly of course !)

All that extra cash down the swanny lol

Reply to Bathroom supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net