Battery SDS Drill | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Battery SDS Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricianstew

I know there have been a few posts on this subject, but as most are over three years old I would like some new perspectives on this subject.

My Hitachi DH24DVA hammer drill has just packed up after three years. Previous to that I had a Bosch (Cant remember the make).

Both batteries have died on the Hitachi, and as most people with experience will know, by the time you've replaced two batteries you might as well get a new drill!

I dont mind spending money for quality, as long as its not extortionate!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

edit* I work in the North Yorkshire Dales as well, so the walls we get up here aren't your usual red brick and breeze block, some are like drilling diamond so the drill wants plenty of power!

Zap the batteries with a welder....as long as you get the terminals the right way round it should put life back in em. Ive done it several times on my Bosch and Dewalt drills. There are links on youtube that show you how to do it.

Brilliant Thankyou, I've been looking at the Makita BHR200WAE looks like a decent piece of kit! Cheers for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

You sound a braver man than me Jay!

Saw a Metabo 36 volt at a show earlier this week with 5.2 Ah batteries quite impressive. Supposedly cheaper than Bosch equivalent but that was salesman's talk. Though I did feel that with the larger capacity batteries it was a bit heavy.

if you go makita, buy the 36v version and buy the adapter and use 2 18v batteries in it.

the batteries are then £50 ish each instead of 100

2 x 18v batteries £100. 1 36V battery £100. the difference is????? ziltch.

I have had quite a few in the last couple of years due to changing company. The best I have used was a Bosch 36v which was light as a double socket. Got three battery's with it to from screwfix. Couldn't tell you the model. Not keen on makita or dewalts. Seem a little nose heavy.

I have had quite a few in the last couple of years due to changing company. The best I have used was a Bosch 36v which was light as a double socket. Got three battery's with it to from screwfix. Couldn't tell you the model. Not keen on makita or dewalts. Seem a little nose heavy.

you say makita are nose heavy, it depends on which ones you are talking about. there are ones that are nose heavy and ones that are balanced at least in the 18v range

Electricianstew, i have the exact same hitachi, a comoany on ebay sells used ones for 35 quid, bought 2 5/6 months ago and they still working spot on.

makita, though we do seem to hammer the batteries, they do take them back and sort them out if they go dud within the first couple of years.

We have the high kick version that allows us to drill through slates on the roof just using the kick in the drill like a slaters pick... and on hammer mode it powers straight through even the biggest roof timbers just using a standard sds brick drill bit far faster than using a wood cutting bit on a standard drill.

makita, though we do seem to hammer the batteries, they do take them back and sort them out if they go dud within the first couple of years.

We have the high kick version that allows us to drill through slates on the roof just using the kick in the drill like a slaters pick... and on hammer mode it powers straight through even the biggest roof timbers just using a standard sds brick drill bit far faster than using a wood cutting bit on a standard drill.

the thing with makita batteries is don't store them uncharged, keep um charged or the charging circuit will drain it and throw up an error. after 3 errors the genuine chargers/* tools refuse it

if you go makita, buy the 36v version and buy the adapter and use 2 18v batteries in it.

the batteries are then £50 ish each instead of 100

one thing to note, the 36v batteries are £250 and adapter is £100

personally after looking into it id go bosch, a lot cheaper in the long run with the price of there batteries

it depends what your going to do with it tbh. Most new 18v sds drills are as good as the older range of 24v drills and suitable for fixings and small to med holes. If you want to do heavey duty stuff then a 28-36v would be a good idea.

for the daddy you could get a hilti 36v monster for around £1200 which is better than any small corded drill. If you cant justify the cost of that then you can get the bosch 36v with two 2.6ah batts for £439, which is a bargin tbh.

Bosch GBH 36 VF-LI (2 x 2.6 Ah, QCC, case) Li-ion SDS+ hammer with quick change chuck

Reply to Battery SDS Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net