Beginner advice please (17th) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Beginner advice please (17th) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

woodencupbaord

I'm looking to pass my 17th Edition exam early next year, that means I'm to crack on with some serious studying as I plan to do it all by myself home school style, work and life commitments to take care of elsewhere!
I'm not looking to get a job as an electrician, just pass the test for personal satisfaction and for future career CV awesomeness! I've lots of experience doing hands on work but nothing to show for it so far :prrr:

I made a thread in the intro forum and got a bit of advice there, but to fully reach out, some clarification on what I need and the best way to do it please!

The test is C&G2382-BS7671 correct? What is the -10 -12 part I've seen? Perhaps I've the full course name wrong, I wish to study and pass the 'latest' version of the test.

And to buy:
100% needed is the Regulations themselves: IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : BS 7671: 2008 With BS7671: 2008 Corrigendum July 2008: Amazon.co.uk: Institution of Engineering & Technology: Books Correct?
AND
On Site Guide IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition: Amazon.co.uk: The Institution of Engineering and Techn: BooksMentioned was the 2011 amendment also: Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Institution Of Engineering And Technology: Books Is this needed for the test I'd be taking as well or just the RED version?

This was recommended as a study guide Exam Success: IEE Wiring Regulations 2382-10: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Cook, Jonathon Elliot: Books
I've seen this one too, 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Explained & Illustrated: Explained and Illustrated IEE Wiring Regulations, 17th edition: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books
Perhaps someone who has either can comment on the 'best' one to help?

And for online resources I've seen: Learning Lounge Learning Lounge - the flexible online learning resource for education and commerce - techincal training, health and safety, and corporate communications. AND this Multiple choice exam practise questions software simulator for the C&G2382 BS7671 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Questions first amendmentAre these recommended to help self study, anyone here using either?

After all that not a bad way to spend a few quid on just books :shocked3:

Thanks all!

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Alright there wooden cup, first of all, you only need to buy the 1 regs book which is link 1.
There is an updated OSG (2) too, but you don't need this for the City & Guilds 2382-12 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition Wiring Regulations exam. But by all means buy it if your intending to work as a sparky. There is a exam success out, but it's not for the current exam.
The new green book comes into effect Jan 1st 2012. So check which which version of the exam / course you are doing. As it might require the red book, but double check as these books are really expensive.
I sat my 17th 2382-12 yesterday and passed no problem. I am however also doing my 2330 level 3 so have a reasonably good understanding of the underpinning knowledge. There was a bloke on my course who had no idea at all and struggled throughout the week and failed the exam. My college offer this as a 4 day course and costs £400 so shop around before you sign up. Also, I joined the IET as student member costs £20 for the year and get all my books from there, so much cheaper than amazon etc

My advise is familiarise yourself with the book and work out where you might go for an answer, use page 3, the index and table fo tables....See if you can get some pass papers for revision, I have a couple but they are for RED 17th Exam...
Also I think the -12 -10 is to signify the change in the exam.
Hope this helps, if you PM your email address I'll send you a couple of pass papers.

Good Luck mate..

1) Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Institution Of Engineering And Technology: Books
2) On-Site Guide: BS 7671:2008 Wiring Regulations, incorporating Amendment No 1:2011 Iet Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Iet: Books

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I dont want to dampen your enthusiasm, but, by doing this thing by distance learning, you will miss all the input from the other candidates and your tutor. The info that gets passed between members of the group doing and presenting the course is probably priceless, and has a significant impact on the success of the course.

But good look with it anyway.

Cheers.........Howard

Upvote 0
The discussion between the other students and myself whilst I was doing my 2330 was a waste of time. So called time served guys talking utter rubbish for 99% of the time.

Upvote 0
best advice is to do the course. most colleges do it on a 1 evening a week, cost including exam is about £250. buy the green regs book if you are doing it next year.

Upvote 0

Reply to Beginner advice please (17th) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net