Best course for career change ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Best course for career change ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gmc2806

Hi all, just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the best course for someone with no experience to take that would give me a chance to get into the industry ? I was thinking of going on a pre-apprenticeship course in college but I was hoping there was a course that would give me the necessary knowledge to possibly work as an electricians mate or to give me an advantage when applying for an apprenticeship.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks guys :)

Do you reckon the pre-apprenticeship courses are worthwhile though mate ? I actually asked about them in another thread and most folk didn't seem to think they were that great.

Upvote 0
depends on your age whether to go through a pre-apprentership scheme IMO can't see employers caring if an adult learner has gone through a pre-apprentice scheme as apposed to someone fresh out of school - because in that scenario surely youth would always prevail, they'd have to pay them less for a start. Could be wrong though.

Best bets doing night courses alongside ure current job...taking the new 2330, whatever its called 2386 or something like that? (losing track with all the new courses.)

If you do it that way and an apprentership comes up then great, if not - you're still learning the trade which will be benefitial for later on and may help getting work as a mate.

Upvote 0
Is undertaking the 17th edition IEE regulations course a smart move for someone with no electrical experience or is it aimed at more experienced folk ?

Upvote 0
It's aimed at someone with the IQ of a fish. Easiest course/exam you'll ever sit.

A smart move, yes - as you need it to get employed. ( although people have mentioned that job center sites are advertising 16th which is just ridiculous)

Upvote 0
I can get the 17th edition course for about £350 with possibility of funding from the Job Centre. Would you recommend sitting that course with the view to an apprenticeship rather than the pre-apprentice course ? I'm 22 incase that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
You can apply for an apprentership up untill the age of 24 with government funding (i think, someone else may correct me on that but i think its correct)

The 17th edition course, is probably the best option for you because you have no electrical experience...however, you can buy the regs for £70 on amazon, and you can actually just sit the 17th exam without doing the course for £45...but as you don't have any experience it may not be a good idea (but the exam is really really easy) so up to you if you wish to study and self-teach yourself enough to get through the exam. I do not advise this though.

Apply to your local college, they'll put you on a course that suits your lifestyle...whether it'd be night courses or full time. Then, the college will help you look for apprenterships whilst you look aswell - if you don't find one, ure still learning the theory which is a massive plus.

Try and stay clear of the pre-apprentice courses, apprentership route / adult learner route through a college on either a C&G or EAL course is the correct way to go. C&G 2365 or C&G 2357 are the courses you want to be applying for.

Upvote 0
Okay mate, thanks again for the help. I know what I'll be trying to do now, I'm not working at the minute so any course is ideal if it's going to help me get a job in the long run.

Cheers, Gary.

Upvote 0

Reply to Best course for career change ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net