Best suppliers for PV kit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Best suppliers for PV kit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Where you guys getting your kits from?

ive had a quote from marlec and seems quite good, but struggling to find any other decent supplers

thanks
grand

It depends on the quantity you are after but we have not found anyone better on price than segen for modules , inverters and connectors yet .
For the cable it is City Electrical Factors and another for the fixings .

We'd go broke if we paid segen's prices on modules, let alone the rest of the kit, like for like, there are better, more reliable, less expensive suppliers.

We'd go broke if we paid segen's prices on modules, let alone the rest of the kit, like for like, there are better, more reliable, less expensive suppliers.

It would be good to pass on the name of some of them if you did not mind as the op suggested .
What size orders do you need to get your good prices ?
As i said segen's prices depended on quantity , no one else came close on the last 100+ kw order we placed with them .

Good negotiating skills! Not down to order size.
For the smaller projects, Waxman, CCL, Sibert, ScottNangle, Alternergy.

We buy very few modules from Segen these days. They are very good when you need things all from one place and in a hurry.

As an example we saved £1000 buying 18 sharp 245w panels from cleaner air solutions than at Segen. Yes 1k it's not a typo. And they had stock when other larger suppliers did not. Also you can get the Sanyo 250w from smaller suppliers for the same price as Segen sells the 235W Sanyo.

I think they take the **** on attitude as well.

I've found some of their staff to be as much use as a rubber shovel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking about the same company??

Yes, Sharp are more expensive because they cocked up their relationship and have to ship them in but we've gone off Sharp now anyway. I've always had great service from Segen - they don't respond well to emails but once I'd realised that I haven't had any problems. I've talked to all of the ones listed above and none of them come anywhere near Segen on price - including Cleaner Air, who's attitude stinks. I buy from them because they have the BP black panels that we like and at the minute they have Sanyo 250's but they are more expensive than Segen.

I got a lecture of Scott Nangle when I talked to him and if I couldn't get panels anywhere in the country I wouldn't buy off him! Waxman are great but a bit more expensive - all my roofing stuff comes from there, I've had problems an odd time but they've always forewarned me and put things right.

I suppose it all depends on who you happen to be dealing with at the time.

We've had orders messed up and the response we got from one particular lady was "Nothing I can do about it. I wasn't me."

I've phoned up before to ask for some advice on the Schuco mounting system. By the response I'd got from the guy on the phone, you'd have thought I'd asked if he minded if I tickled his balls.

Not impressed and now we very rarely use.

Hi Grand,
Welcome to the solar market!

We are one of the largest PV firms in the UK and are an official sponsor to the Electricians Forum.

PV Solar UK Ltd are official stockist & suppliers of Sharp modules, Power-One Inverters, Click-Fit mounting systems, approved cabling and ancillary products.

We are active members on this forum and provide a high standard of technical support & backup on all of our product lines.

If you have a requirement you wish to discuss, or you have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime.

I hope to speak to you soon.

Thanks & best regards,
Christopher

PV Solar UK Ltd
T: 0800 634 8505 - E: [email protected]

I don't use Schuco so I've not had that problem. As you say I think it could well be the person you're linked with ours are both great and can't do enough for me. Our discount is up to a level now that means they are unlikely to lose our business - I just can't get the prices anywhere else.

I have had the odd problem with Segen, they run out of stuff regularly and it irritates me they now use 0844 numbers (at least I have the original ones that still work). But they get my vote because they offered me an account before I was MCS registered for PV (they picked up my details from my GSHP/ASHP registration), they do online ordering which is useful for me because I often end up putting together the orders 'after hours' as I am doing other things during daylight hours, and their prices seem reasonable. I get a deluge of emails from smaller companies offering panels/inverters etc, but their prices are never as good as the SEGEN ones (admittedly I have not tried to knock them down) and certainly I cannot get everything in one place like the SEGEN portal. If there is another wholesaler that operates like SEGEN with sophisticated online ordering I would be interested to know about it. I wanted to order 3 x DIN rail meters this afternoon (which SEGEN do not do) and had to spend time on the phone and then use a personal debit card because they were going to charge x% for the company credit card. Time is precious.
Regards
Bruce

I've developed a relationship with my local CEF branch. The branch manager wants the business and responds to price demands. He's happy to stock what I require and deliver locally to site FOC. The ability to order everything from one place is a real bonus and they can be more responsive than any mail order company.

I suggest you should find a local supplier and develop a good relationship, a business has three zones of operation, what you buy, what you do and what you sell, be mindfull to manage all three equally!

I've done the same, got a local branch of WFSolar to supply us with most of what we need. I'd prefer to see our cash go to local suppliers rather than some centralized warehouse. At least the local branch employs local people.

A local shop, for local people ;)

Hi Guys,

Please drop me a PM with your quoted prices, we are a supplier and our warehouse and office is based in Birmingham, let me know your needs and I'll do my best to accomodate.

Kenny

Reply to Best suppliers for PV kit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net