Currently reading:
Best way to loop garden lights?

Discuss Best way to loop garden lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have been asked to install 2 garden lights, the chap says most likely they will be spike lights in the ground. I was wondering how everyone loops them together? There will be SWA coming from the house to first light and also SWA linking 1st to 2nd light

I have had a good look around the site and there seems to be quite a few different ideas so I thought I'd ask and see what everyone now thinks?

I've come across these which look good but expensive http://www.pratley.com/Sales_Leaflets/Ezee_Fit_Leaflet.pdf

also.. 5 Amp 3 Pin Weatherproof Socket - Metal

I've also seen metal conduit boxes used but i didn't like that as I didn't think they had the necessary IP rating.

An IP adaptable box would be nice and easy, but theres nowhere to attach it with just a spike in the ground.

Cheers all..

Evening all..

I have been asked to install 2 garden lights, the chap says most likely they will be spike lights in the ground. I was wondering how everyone loops them together? There will be SWA coming from the house to first light and also SWA linking 1st to 2nd light

I have had a good look around the site and there seems to be quite a few different ideas so I thought I'd ask and see what everyone now thinks?

I've come across these which look good but expensive http://www.pratley.com/Sales_Leaflets/Ezee_Fit_Leaflet.pdf

also.. 5 Amp 3 Pin Weatherproof Socket - Metal

I've also seen metal conduit boxes used but i didn't like that as I didn't think they had the necessary IP rating.

An IP adaptable box would be nice and easy, but theres nowhere to attach it with just a spike in the ground.

Cheers all..

Spike lights come pre flexed, he is asking for recommendations on what to use for the joint.

Personally I like the pratley joint boxes linked above for outside joints in SWA, and they aren't as expensive as you seem to think.

For spike lights it is usually better to have a socket mounted on a small stake/post so that the lights can be unplugged and moved out of the way when gardening or mowing the lawn etc. Lewden 5A plugs/sockets are my preference for that but you have to mount them sideways to avoid a top entry with the SWA.

Spike lights come pre flexed, he is asking for recommendations on what to use for the joint.

Personally I like the pratley joint boxes linked above for outside joints in SWA, and they aren't as expensive as you seem to think.

For spike lights it is usually better to have a socket mounted on a small stake/post so that the lights can be unplugged and moved out of the way when gardening or mowing the lawn etc. Lewden 5A plugs/sockets are my preference for that but you have to mount them sideways to avoid a top entry with the SWA.

The lewden plug/socket was my second choice but if I'm going to have to put a stake in the ground next to the light I could just use an adaptable box?
use some compound in the IP box wont you....

The magic gel looks good, but if the box is already IP x8 rated is that really necessary?

Scrub that.. yes it is... moisture!

Last edited:
The lewden plug/socket was my second choice but I have to admit I was unsure how to mount them, if I'm going to have to put a stake in the ground next to the light I could just use an adaptable box?

The magic gel looks good, but if the box is already IP x8 rated is that really necessary?

Scrub that.. yes it is... moisture!
just do as you`v been told....or you`l get fault....

check out #8

I prefer plug and socket for spike lights as I mentioned above as they can be taken out of the way for gardening and mowing easier, and disconnected and replaced easily when the fools destroy them whilst gardening and mowing etc.

If making a permanent connection I would go with the pratley boxes over adaptable boxes, properly IP rated with no compound required and the earth continuity for the SWA is all already there. Glands and all are included in the box when you buy it, just need a compression gland conversion for the flex.
I do add a bit of self amalgamating tape before sliding the shroud over the gland as I don't think it gives the best water seal for the armouring.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best way to loop garden lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock