Bit of help please.... Y Plan | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bit of help please.... Y Plan in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Don't do much heating stuff, so after a bit of advice please.

Have Y Plan System in my place and just recently when the hot water comes on so does the central heating. Even though central heating is set to off (and hot water is on auto) ?

Just to try and prove things have completely disconnected the room stat and still the same ?

Would I be right in thinking that it could be a fault with the zone valve.... there is a little level under it which I have tried in every position and this makes no difference ?

Many Thanks,

Sy

When the system is on and calling for water only, check the position of the lever on the valve body. As it's a mid position valve it has 3 positions, water only, heating only & both together. The valve will either be marked H for heating W for water & M for mid position (both calling) or A for heating B for water & AB for mid position (both calling)

It sounds like the valve is stuck in mid position or there could be a problem with the heating coil in the cylinder.

faulty zone valve pal,push the lever over as far as you can, (you should feel a spring resisting) there is a little catch to hook it in to at that end,feel the pipe going to the tank it should get hotter. rads will go off,get new valve.

Thanks Chaps...

Valve is really old, cant see anything on it for positions think they've all worn off..... best get my plumber mate round then when back from his hols to a stick a new one in

Thanks Chaps...

Valve is really old, cant see anything on it for positions think they've all worn off..... best get my plumber mate round then when back from his hols to a stick a new one in
It's probably just the solenoid gone Sy, you can easily replace it yourself (unless your plumber is cheap/free).

Try reaching around the back of the solenoid housing that's sitting on top of the valve (and feeling for the lever, only the tip of the lever normally protrudes through the housing (about half a centimetre or so)), the lever is often hidden coz of the orientation of the housing.

Reply to Bit of help please.... Y Plan in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net