Blanked face mounting box? What are they for? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Blanked face mounting box? What are they for? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Powada

In my flat I had found a series of blanked face mounting boxes, in the hallway and in the water tank cupboards. Here they are pictured.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Blanked face mounting box?  What are they for?[ElectriciansForums.net] Blanked face mounting box?  What are they for?[ElectriciansForums.net] Blanked face mounting box?  What are they for?
My question is what were/are these for and what are the possible reasons for them being blanked off?

Thankyou for looking at this - trying to find my way around the working of my new flat! :)

yep. Or could just be an old box with nothing in, putting a blank on could have been easier than getting the tub of filler out.

They could have been just about anything - switches, sockets, flex outlets or even just junction boxes - from the pictures I can see the same as you can (a blank plate).
The purpose of a blanking plate is so you don't have a hole in the wall, or exposed live wires.

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll need to get the covers off at the weekend and have a closer look!

if rented flat i would just leave them on!
if purchased flat i would rip them off and poke about! "BEWARE THOUGH THAT 240V MAY BE LURKING BEHIND THEM"

looks to me as if the flat had some sort of electric heating at some time and the blanks are double pole switches and outlet plates most likely being off peak heating, also be aware about the fuse holder missing off one of the switches as this could be an exposed live part

I have seen this quite alot over the years, and to all intents and purposes it is usually to avoid filling redundant back boxes, after a re-wire. It may have been done with a future addition in mine or it could be an adaption of existing circuits. It's worth investigating further bearing in mind that it might be live.

Hwyl!

Reply to Blanked face mounting box? What are they for? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net