Bloody Plumbers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bloody Plumbers in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

bwm730

-
Reaction score
Finally downloaded the attached picture of a "shower fault" i recently worked on.
As you can see the bloody plumber connected the 6mm T&E directly across the Main Isolator ( The grey flex is actually the Earth Sleeving ).
No RCD protection or Earth Bonding either.
Luckily the Shower Isolator burned out as the Plumber hadn't tightened up the screws and i was able to recitify all faults before any serious accidents.
How do some people sleep at night or are they so stupid they don't realise to serious implications of their actions ?

Sorry, thought i had finally downloaded the picture but failled again !

Last edited:
[ElectriciansForums.net] Bloody Plumbers
Finally downloaded the attached picture of a "shower fault" i recently worked on.
As you can see the bloody plumber connected the 6mm T&E directly across the Main Isolator ( The grey flex is actually the Earth Sleeving ).
No RCD protection or Earth Bonding either.
Luckily the Shower Isolator burned out as the Plumber hadn't tightened up the screws and i was able to recitify all faults before any serious accidents.
How do some people sleep at night or are they so stupid they don't realise to serious implications of their actions ?

I would guess it's just ignorance - presumably they saw live and neutral together and thought that was good enough. Probably a case of just wanting it to work without being able to do anything fancy.... Like interrupting the current in the event of a fault.

I do bathrooms for two plumbing companies and if there is an electric shower to be fitted I used to fit the circuit and isolator and leave a tail for the shower with a jb on the end for the plumber to connect, I used to tape a length of earth sleeve to the cable too for the plumber

In a year I had 3 call backs where the terminals were loose and the shower terminals had overheated, not one had the earth sleeve fitted either

So I made a point of going back on the other 4 or so I fitted and only 2 had earth sleeve and were adequately tightened, the others had signs of overheating too, so now I have to come back on every job to connect the showers up

The plumbers say to me don't bother it's easy it's only 3 connections we will do it, and that's a plumber, no wonder i shudder at the thought of DIY rewires

Good effort on the earth sleeving! Industrious I think is the word.

I once saw an install where the kitchen fitter/builder/part p monkey had sleeved all the earth conductors in blue sleeving. Presumably becasue he had no earth sleeving. So you had a blue conductor going to the neutral and a blue conductor going to the earth! That's just plain lazy

Yes he seems to have missed the point of earth sleeving somewhat.
Looking at the way the cables enter the enclosure, how did they get the cover on?

Sorry for the delay in replying, as usual explained to the customer what was wrong and that he now had to pay for a seperate MCB, and RCD and earth bonding as well as a new Shower isolating switch and has wasn't impressed. He had never heard of PartP and just thought the Plumber was qualified to carry out new shower installs. As far as getting the cover on it was "tight".

I did a "distress" CU change last week due to a CU burn out caused by a loose 6mm conductors on a 9.5kw shower.
Changed the CU and upgraded the shower circuit to 10mm conductors.

Reply to Bloody Plumbers in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks