Blown Lights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Blown Lights in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

carlos180

Hi, doing some diy in the house, knocking off some plaster, my fusebox popped and my upstairs lights will now not work, tried switching the switch back on in the fusebox, and it pops and knocks back off, could this be a fuse problem ??

Forgot to mention, there were cables under the plaster, not boxed in, some numpty had just buried them :(

It's a cable problem, sounds like you've caught a cable, you need an electrician to locate the fault and repair/replace the damaged cable.

Always isolate your supply when doing such building works, you could easily have had a shock.

Sounds like you'll need to get an electrician in to start replacing the damaged cables. If the fuse is blowing it's not a fuse problem, it's a circuit problem.

Forgot to mention, there were cables under the plaster, not boxed in, some numpty had just buried them :(

He may be a numpty for not using a safe zone ( if that were the case),but burying cables is an industry recognised installation mathod

When chopping out walls, its very important to check that you are not chiseling into a safe zone willy nilly

how do you know you have not "squashed" them and created a dead short inside the Grey rubber insulation!! looking at the outside is misleading and with out the correct test equipment you cant be sure

suggest ring a spark!! will probably cost you £50 for his time!

mate, u have a problem with cables, so pick up the phone and call a spark, or this thread will go on and on and it will still come to the same conclusion in the end! not being rude but u obviously do not have the electrical knowledge to even know where to start looking, it could be anywhere?? the cables may be attached, but could be nicked to cause rhe fault to trip breaker.

no problems mate! if they are still exposed and the fault is in that location then the spark will have a breeze!!

happy chopping plaster!! i did it just before xmas..! total stress relief!!

Concensus of opinion from about 6 different people are that by popping your plaster you have damaged the cable, pulled the cable so it's pull out of a connection and is shorting so I would say it's definately something you did.

It's al ittle pointless to be honest to keep coming back saying light was not on, you never hit it very hard I agree with everything that as been written, it may be time for you to also agree.

Either check where the cables go and open up the accessory to see if a cable as come out and shorting. If it's not there then it's time to call an expert to either reapir or change the cable.

You got the correct advice way back in post number 3 :)

Remember, even though the light wasn't on, you may have damaged a switch wire or if you have an rcd/rcbo, caused a neutral-earth fault.

Reply to Blown Lights in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net