Bonding neighbours gas pipe in this property... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bonding neighbours gas pipe in this property... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sijmit

-
Reaction score
We are rewiring a house. The neighbour's gas pipe passes, uninsulated, through the house due to what seems like a bit of suspect extension building last century. I feel that, as this is an extraneous conductive part, it should be bonded to the earth terminal of the installation (it is within touch distance of a socket outlet) although by bonding it, earth faults in the neighbour's property will affect this one and vice-versa (assuming it is bonded to the neighbours installation as well).

What would you do?

Hi sijmit, I recommend you apply to our Trainee section if you are on an active training course, this section will better suit your level of questions and we have selected Mentors to help with such questions.

As a Trainee you should be working along side a competent person or under the supervision and instruction of one, what do they say on this matter?

Why do you say a fault in another property would effect this property if you bonded the Gas pipe, can you expand on that please.

If it is bonded in the neighbours property then that guarantees that it will be extraneous in yours.
So bond it as an extraneous part.

I recommend a copy of guidance note 8, it has some useful diagrams which illustrate this kind of scenario. It is the only guidance note which I have so far found to actually be useful enough to be worth buying

Hi sijmit, I recommend you apply to our Trainee section if you are on an active training course, this section will better suit your level of questions and we have selected Mentors to help with such questions.

As a Trainee you should be working along side a competent person or under the supervision and instruction of one, what do they say on this matter?

Please could you move this to the correct forum. Thanks.

To satisfy your curiosity, I am designing this one on my own - an exercise in individual learning if you will. The boss will have the final say, rest assured.

Reply to Bonding neighbours gas pipe in this property... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net