Bonding - Redundant Gas Pipe | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bonding - Redundant Gas Pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

s1m0n

Hi,

Advise needed,

Came across a gas service pipe coming into a kitchen (domestic House) up from the floor capped off, then a gap where the meter would have been, and then the rest of the pipework disapearing into the ceiling to the rest of the house.

Gas has not been in use for the last 50 years and no intention in the near future, ie no gas appliances fitted any where in the house.

where does this stand on bonding,

I would bond it as main equipotential bonding, making sure that both side of the gas pipe are bonded (no meter connected across the pipes)

Just to add the owner says it has been like this for over 50 years, it is painted, and no one else has ever said any thing before, (electricains i presume)

all views welcome:)

The only thing I would advise is to actually see if it could be classed as an extraneous conductive part and you can do that by using a wander lead to the MET and see what results you get on a IR test.

The chances are that it could introduce a potential and therefore may need bonding. But test it first to see.

regardless of if its in use the pipework is introducing potential into the property and as the pipework is still in place i would bond it and accross the meter gap.

You couldnt be picked up on it at all by doing it even if not needed for the sake of clamp and bit of 10mm, if you really dont want to do it then follow Malcs advice above and Ir test it from a good earth

If the meter is missing how would the pipework, that is now not attached to the incoming service, be liable to introduce a potential into the building? If you then bond across where the meter used to be are you not introducing a path for fault current that didn't exist and therefore making the installation less safe?

If the meter is missing how would the pipework, that is now not attached to the incoming service, be liable to introduce a potential into the building? If you then bond across where the meter used to be are you not introducing a path for fault current that didn't exist and therefore making the installation less safe?

The pipe coming in from the outside as a fairly good chance of introducing a potential and if it does then it would need bonding.

The internal pipiework may be disconnected from every potential source and may not need bonding. But there may also be somewhere where it attaches to an appliance that also as a water feed, then it would have the capacity to introduce a potential.

The only way to be certain is to do what I suggested in my OP ...................Test and see

I'm only asking from a theory point of view and testing would probably be the best option. However if, as you say, the redundant gas pipework is connected to a water source pipework at an appliance, wouldn't the best option be to main bond the water source at it's point of entry?

Reply to Bonding - Redundant Gas Pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net