bonding to water service pipe | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss bonding to water service pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem with this approach is that if alterations are made to the pipework between the point of bonding and the point of entry resulting in a loss of continuity the whole point of main bonding is defeated. If the incoming service is bonded at the point of entry the whole point of main bonding remains in place regardless of alterations made upstream of the bond. THIS is why there is a requirement to main bond at the point of entry,it's not just 7671 trying to make our lives harder. If it's not possible to bond at the point of entry...(and it nearly always is...it's more cant be bothered) IMO it is not sufficient to note on the cert....plumbers and clients dont read certs. I think it should be a requirement to place a notice at the CU stating that following alterations to plumbing a test of the effectiveness of main bonding should be carried out.

Which brings us back to the arguement, Why bond a plastic water main? If you bond nearest to the stop cock and the pipe has a plastic insert put in it further upstream, then you are only bonding the initial run, therefore why bond a install with plastic incomer?

Oh gawd !!!!

I'm definitely going to start and take my tool bag and testers on holiday with me from now on ffs !

Excuse me missus............can I just have a quick check under your sink before I take a shower?
And while i'm here can you show me where your fusebox is please................................

Which brings us back to the arguement, Why bond a plastic water main? If you bond nearest to the stop cock and the pipe has a plastic insert put in it further upstream, then you are only bonding the initial run, therefore why bond a install with plastic incomer?

It may not be necessary to bond a water pipe with a plastic incomer at all....it depends if it's extraneous. Of course a test can be carried out to check,but in practice this is not always reliable due to parallel paths.....as regards 'only bonding the initial run'?.......well thats the only bit we are interested in isnt it?....what does the rest of it matter except in special location where we may supplementary bond.

There is actually no mention of stop-cocks in the regulation (544.1.2).

The reference to insulating sections and meters and 600mm. from meters before branches (water meters are usually outside) I read as referring to the gas supply.

Therefore, with water, I would bond where it emerges from the ground.

The regs say where it enters the installation for water and gass and other services. The meters are not part of the installation as they are deemed to be owned by the supply authority. Therefore its it s 600mm or where practicle on the installation side of the meter.

Yes, but the thread is about water service and my point relates to whether the 600mm. applies to unmentioned (in the reg.) stop-cocks.

I agree within 600mm after the stop tap if possible.

What if as many properties do if there are 2 incoming stop taps................should you earth them both???????

Reply to bonding to water service pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net