Borrowing cpc from local socket for lighting joint box | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Borrowing cpc from local socket for lighting joint box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wonder what’s peoples thoughts on this, upstairs lighting has no cpc throughout, 2 bedrooms on ground floor on same circuit have cpcs. Cables are wired using joint box method, Found joint box for upstairs lights with cpcs cut away, reterminated this joint box but still not getting a cpc on the circuit. Must be another joint box somewhere but unable to find it as lofts been converted. Client doesn’t want the upheaval of rewiring, there’s a socket local to the joint box. Would taking a 4mm from that socket to the joint box be okay? From what I’ve read I don’t see there being an reg against it.

Having any CPC is better than none!

Yes, it should be noted and of course ideally on RCD protected circuits, but fixing it via another circuit seems the least-worst option here.
The DB is going to be replaced in the next few weeks also, one a those ones were it felt wrong but I couldn’t see anything to suggest it was lol!

I would agree the actual circuit has no earth provided/continuity therefore it is not compliant.
IMO if the cables have earth conductors within, then borrowing cpc from another circuit is not an option, no matter how much upheaval it takes to rectify or replace.

Reply to Borrowing cpc from local socket for lighting joint box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net