Bridgeport Miller. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bridgeport Miller. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Mike

May I ask for some help please.

I have been asked to look at a milling machine which "made a noise then stopped".
Taking a look the problem has taken two phases.
The machine is I believe American and the drawings with the machine have been scaled down, so much so it is v difficult to make out the markings.
The supply is three phase and earth.
The spindle is free and the motor windings are not down to earth.
I have checked the obvious but to take two phases I would think something would show.

Any help appreciated.
Mike.

Thanks for reply tele. The fault takes the fuses as soon as the main switch is closed, without anything else being touched. The internal mcb's are open. I have checked the supply cables and they are fine. There are two pcb inside so care needed ref testing.

have you measured the windings resistance with an ohm meter. ? also megger between the windings. you could have a breakdown between the phases.

Without more information this is guesswork.
If the contactor doesn’t pull in it’s unlikely to be the motor. If as you say the control MCB’s are open, then that rules out that bit. Just as a starting point have a very close look at the incoming cable. Disconnect the line conductors in the control panel before testing.
The cutting fluid used in machining is notorious for rotting cable.

There is this you could have a look at if it covers you particular model. http://www.icai-online.com/Bridgeport-Service-Manuals/?gclid=CLP-7Z_V_KoCFaQmtAodf0_f0w

Thanks for reply tele. The fault takes the fuses as soon as the main switch is closed, without anything else being touched. The internal mcb's are open. I have checked the supply cables and they are fine. There are two pcb inside so care needed ref testing.

Is it taking out all three fuses or just two?

Without more information this is guesswork.
If the contactor doesn’t pull in it’s unlikely to be the motor. If as you say the control MCB’s are open, then that rules out that bit. Just as a starting point have a very close look at the incoming cable. Disconnect the line conductors in the control panel before testing.
The cutting fluid used in machining is notorious for rotting cable.

There is this you could have a look at if it covers you particular model. http://www.icai-online.com/Bridgeport-Service-Manuals/?gclid=CLP-7Z_V_KoCFaQmtAodf0_f0w

Tony, firstly, thank you for the links, most useful and your advice. Sure enough they do use the cutting fluid so thanks.

Bridgeport do some nice machines, some with CNC. I don’t recall Mr. Mike stating a model number, though it would be useful.

I prefer Cincinnati millers, (the first I used so I got attached to them).

Don't whether this will be any help, but if its an old Bridgeport they used to make them in Bridlington East Yorks and the company that made the controllers used to be Erskine Systems of Scarborough (I believe they are called TT Systems or something like) Sorry but have no further info as I have not worked for them for 20 odd years not spoken to anyone who has for 10 and not lived in England for 5.

Reply to Bridgeport Miller. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net