British Gas Electrical Inspection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss British Gas Electrical Inspection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

optician

Friend of mine has a rental property that has just had a British Gas electrical Inspection.
Its a Tns, 30 mA main switch.

Its an old installation.
The Main earth cable is under size and to an earth clamp on the sheath of the main supply cable
The Bonding is also under-size and also to an earth clamp on the suppliers cable.
There is no earth in the lighting system.
So its not right.

But no one is adding or altering the electrical system.
I am pretty sure he has only done a visual check and has given a report saying the bonding needs
replacing/updating, ok, don't have a problem with that. And rightly has said no metal lighting accessories.

But then has stuck a sticker on the Consumer unit saying essential electrical cable is missing and that no electrical equipment should be used until this matter is addressed. (if i remember the sticker correctly)
I'm not sure that placing this sticker is warranted(which is why I'm writing this) can Anyone clarify
for me please.

You just said the magic words BG who years ago were a good company but now the hedge funds have turned it into no more than what some people would describe as "Boiler room" tactics where their techs are presurised into being saleman so it is no good doing your job you need to reach your targets so getting them is a risk in its self. the guy who serviced my boiler did not even try to sell me anything when I asked him why because every guy before him tried to he explained that he worked for them for 28 years and 5 years ago seen the writing on the wall and bailed out only for them to get back to him and offer him subcontract work why ???? because they could not get the right type of guy plus as he said the BG guys are under a lot of presure to sell hence why you are going to hear about O dear your earthing is not up to standard and it is very dangerous that will be £180 please (as told to me by 2 old biddies round the corner or O dear did you know that your fuseboard is dangerous I will send someone around to look at it for you but I wont tell you that I am a "Churner" and I am on between 5-10% of the sale.

So please take anything they say with a bucket of salt and ask them to put their concerns in writting and you will get a quote for the works only and not their concerns about safety

Last edited by a moderator:
How much time did he spend on the inspection? From the info given, I cant see how he can condemn without providing any test results or further evidence.

A visual check is worth nothing mate. If something is to be condemned your opinion should be backed up with test results or references to the regulations being contravened

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to British Gas Electrical Inspection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net