Brushing up on the Regs | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Brushing up on the Regs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Schneker

Hi folks,

The last few years I've been metal munching, glanding & terminating SWA etc for companies, all pretty straight forward.

Due to lack of work it looks like I might have to start doing domestic stuff, which I've not done for 20 odd years.

The practical side will be no big issue, my concern is the Regs. I did the 17th update in 2010, but must admit I've forgotten a lot :thinking: Other than getting the regs book and old notes out, does anybody know of anything I can use to brush up on the regs?

Cheers in advance

You could do the 17th edition course that now covers the amendments that have come out since 2010.
You would need the green BS7671 from which to refresh your knowledge.
You should also be aware of amendments 2 and 3 (available from the IET website) even though they may have limited effect on most domestic.

The building regulations have changed significantly since 2010, particularly for domestic, the approved documents and the domestic building service compliance guides can be downloaded for free from the planning portal.

You could do the 17th edition course that now covers the amendments that have come out since 2010.
You would need the green BS7671 from which to refresh your knowledge.
You should also be aware of amendments 2 and 3 (available from the IET website) even though they may have limited effect on most domestic.

The building regulations have changed significantly since 2010, particularly for domestic, the approved documents and the domestic building service compliance guides can be downloaded for free from the planning portal.

Thanx sir, looks like it'll be a refresher course for me then ! :disappointed:

Cheers

Me again!
Just realised I've put this is in the wrong forum :oops:
I've been looking online to buy a new regs book and unsure what the most current issue is.
Is it the 2011 book, or is there a newer version.
I've had a look at the BSi site and am going round in circles getting pointed to PDF's and amendement downloads, I just want to buy the book!
Also, when I eventually find it, is the BSi the cheapest place to buy the book?

Cheers in advance.

The book you want (until it gets updated again!) is BS7671 including AMD 1, BSI is probably the most expensive place to get it from.

AMD3 is at the moment a draft for public comment and should be issued in 2015.
View attachment 17th Amd 3 DPC.pdf
IET has also issued AMD2 on Electric vehicle charging that is available from my link above.
and maybe summarised as follows:
EV charging

Mode 1 16A
Mode 2 32A control pilot and RCD
Mode 3 Dedicated fixed control pilot to EV charger
Mode 4 off board charger Control pilot to hard wired equipment.

NOT inductive charging

Dedicated final circuit required no diversity (unless multi charger with load control)

No PEN, obstacles, out of reach, EFLEB

Outdoor charging: No PME except
i) 3~ multi use loads MET – Earth on OC PEN <70V
ii) Electrode with bonding sized EC and on OC PEN <70Vrms
iii) CPC – E >70V ADS <=5s, manual reclose (no product standard yet)
Needs Electrode out of other earth influences
But if a dwelling (1 household) not applicable if not reasonably practicable.

ENA G12 recommendation not to offer PME for street charging.

Can use electrical separation for one vehicle with supply fed from one point.

BSEN61439 applies for assemblies containing EV Charging point

IP44 minimum for outside points.

Must have 30mA multipole (inc N) RCD at least type A, but type B if known >6mA d.c.

Sockets either BS1363 if approved for such use, or a BSEN60309-2 interlocked with no live contacts when unplugged. For Mode 3 only, type 1, 2 or 3 BSEN62196-2.
Installed in DB or appropriate enclosure and fixed, no portable outlet but tethered OK.
Only for 1 vehicle, Cannot unplug whilst live for Modes 3 and 4.
Lowest point >=0.5m<=1.5m (also comply with Building regs)

Informative

Neutral current =[ElectriciansForums.net] Brushing up on the Regs
PME exclusion (i) if
[ElectriciansForums.net] Brushing up on the Regs

PME exclusion (ii) if [ElectriciansForums.net] Brushing up on the Regs 1~ or [ElectriciansForums.net] Brushing up on the Regs 3~

If I[SUB]m[/SUB] –(70/U[SUB]o[/SUB] x (I[SUB]L1[/SUB]+I[SUB]l2[/SUB]+I[SUB]L3[/SUB]) )>0 then (i) applies and no rod needed.
I[SUB]inst[/SUB] is max demand, I[SUB]m[/SUB] is max N Amps, I[SUB]L[/SUB] are phase currents at I[SUB]m[/SUB], R [SUB]A ev[/SUB] is R[SUB]A[/SUB] for EV rod.

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Don't blow your cash on the current green book. wait till Jan and buy the new yellow one.

The current version on site guide will get you by till then, and to be fair if you have been working in some way shape or form in the industry anyway. Like you say, the practical is no problem, and if you get that right it will probably comply anyway.

My gut feeling is that there will be a new 17th edition course next year, the changes are quite extensive, if you did hold a 17th edition qual (there have been 3) then you would probably escape with doing an update, but you don't so you might end up doing a full course and exam etc etc.

Cheers.........Howard

Reply to Brushing up on the Regs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net