BT point exstension | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss BT point exstension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1amp

hi im plannig on extending my main bt poit. the main bt point (A,B) has four core to it black green white and orange from overhead and iv got hold of another bt main point. my plan is to run a cat 5 from the main A and B (incoming) to the secondary point in the A and B terminals.

would this work ?

Why are you using Cat 5? Not sure What you mean by 'Main BT point'. If they're both Masters, I don't think you can use a second Master, but I may be wrong. On the Krone strip just connect between positions 2 and 5 on both boxes. This should be all you need to do.

all iv got is cat 5 it should be ok? one is a master the main in and ive put another master in the kitchen hoping to come of the A and B terminals in the main incoming to the the A and B terminals i the new master in the kitchen

Cat 5 will do, I just wondered why. But as I said I'm not sure if you can use a secon master. Nip down to B & Q and get a connection box and use that. In the master box there should be a 'krone' strip that you connect to. I believe the A & B connectors are BT's incomming, (again not 100% about this but best to use the krone strip)

thought it was a capacitor.

anyway... @OP/ do you still want a phone point where the existing master is? if not, use the an alarm JB to connect A abnd B to your cat5 pair, then refit socket at new location at t'other end of cat5

Last edited:
to turn a master into a secondary you cut out the resistor capacitor and diode.you cannot do this if it is the new 2 part master socket however.Do not be tempted to extend cable and relocate BT master,this is illegal and could result in a large bill if a fault occurs and BT have to come out,I worked for them for a spell and talking to an ex colleague last week was told they are trying to bill client for as much as possible,saving a fiver now could cost you a lot more later.

BT owns the stuff up to the master socket, i.e. from pole or underground, into the house and terminated on a socket usually marked with BT. After that point then you can run additional sockets using cat 3 or 5 to secondary sockets which have no internal components. You can convert a master to secondary by removing the ringing capacitor, line resistor and surge protector. you connect cables 2,3 and 5 together preferably using the std colours of 2(blue/white) , 3(orange/white) and 5(white/blue). Always best to leave the master where it is and run secondaries around the house simply daisy chaining the remembering that more than 5 phones and you may have trouble getting them to ring, also if its a broadband line you need a filter with every phone/fax connected, hope this helps

P&S - ex BT

What style of master socket is it? If it's an NTE5 (with a removable lower faceplate) you're in luck. BT helpfully provide four crone terminals on the back of the faceplate to wire extensions to. If not, then a plug-in extension kit or something might have to do. The master sockets are an integral part of BT's network and they get upset when they find people messing with them.

BT owns the stuff up to the master socket, i.e. from pole or underground, into the house and terminated on a socket usually marked with BT. After that point then you can run additional sockets using cat 3 or 5 to secondary sockets which have no internal components. You can convert a master to secondary by removing the ringing capacitor, line resistor and surge protector. you connect cables 2,3 and 5 together preferably using the std colours of 2(blue/white) , 3(orange/white) and 5(white/blue). Always best to leave the master where it is and run secondaries around the house simply daisy chaining the remembering that more than 5 phones and you may have trouble getting them to ring, also if its a broadband line you need a filter with every phone/fax connected, hope this helps

P&S - ex BT

If you want your ADSL interference free and good broadband speed don't connect terminal 3

If your broadband router is at the master socket then use one of these BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5 to replace the lower half of the master and you don't need filters on the slave sockets

Reply to BT point exstension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net