Building Control Notification, When? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Building Control Notification, When? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RomRobi

Hi Guys, as a new member, and having gone through a few posts, found this site interestingly and informatively addictive, and really enjoying it.

One Big problem for me though about notifying the BC. I have a rewire coming up very soon, and I have decided not to notify BC until work is complete, with the EIC. I am not dis-regarding the building regs as to notify before installation commence, but just want to know if it is possible to complete work and notify BC afterwards. (Note: done loads of rewire for present company and fully qualified elec up to current edition/2391 and DI (EAL cert)).

Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are a member of an approved scheme then, when doing domestic work within the scope of Part P, you must notify Building control beforehand; if you do not they are within their rights to ask for it to be torn down and start again, as they need to inspect at each stage of the work. If you are a member, in this case full scope member, then building control must know within 45 days of the work being completed (you will have to tell your scheme earlier to allow them time to notify Building control)

It's the House holder's responsibillity to make notification.
This can be done by either pre-notification (at least 2 days) to BC, or by employing an Electrician who is a member of a Self Certification scheme.
In an emergency (such as a CU fire) notification can be made (within a reasonable time) after the work has been carried out.
In some circumstances, notification is allowed (at the discretion of individual BCs) after the work has been caried out.
Such a notification may inccur additional fees and the House holder may be subject to criminal proceedings, which may result in fines or even imprisonment.

Thanx guys my question had been solved through your comments. Initially I thought jobs could be completed and BC notified afterward. This is as a result of other posts I have read, and sometimes explainations had been constructed fairly wrongly.

As I have never dealt with the BC before, and thought before getting in touch with the Croydon BC, will appreciate an insight into 1. General equirements from the electrician carrying out the work, 2. Inspection stages leading to a completion cert, or basically any tips to hold on to, so as avoid any potential difficullties that people have faced in the past or from other threads.

Thanx once again.

Reply to Building Control Notification, When? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net