Building Control notification | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Building Control notification in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Just

I'm sure this has been discussed umpteen times, but should building control agree to sign off notifiable work if it has been installed by a competent, qualified, but not scheme registered installer or are they in their rights to request that work must be installed by NIC Elecsa etc registered contractor? I heard that some Building control departments don't have qualified inspectors to test and inspect, therefore are they signing off work on trust that the job has been done to standard with correct test results? and also guys that have handed them their test results with which they have competently copied onto their pad and charged £200 for the privelidge bless em. As far as I'm aware there is no requirement to be registered with a scheme if you go through BC? Surely the onus is on them if they sign off poor installations? I'm sure I read on a BC webpage that if you DIY you must notify.... I know they inspect at first fix and completion but what are the installer requirements ie 2391 or as with some BC departments....zip? Either way I bet this varies all over the country?

Its unfortunate but you do not have to be qualified or registered to do installation work.

As long as you notify beforehand pay the BC fee, the onus is on THEM to get it checked, however they seem appropriate.

Its all in Doc P:

And i quote:

1.21 Where notifiable electrical installer work is carried out by a person not registered with a Part P competent person self-certification the work should be notified to a building control body (the local authority or an approved inspector) before work starts. Where the work is necessary because of an emergency the building control body should be notified as soon as possible. The building control body becomes responsible for making sure the work is safe
and complies with all relevant requirements of the Building Regulations.

:)

They should all have them, however the main point is if the usual hits the fan nothing will land on your shoulders. Cover your own back whenever you can or you will be bitten.

Chris

I', therefore are they signing off work on trust that the job has been done to standard with correct test results?
Surely the onus is on them if they sign off poor installations?
I'm sure I read on a BC webpage that if you DIY you must notify.... but what are the installer requirements ie 2391 or as with some BC departments....zip
?

The installers requirements are to follow Bs 7671 or an equivelant

The installer should produce a certificate 610.6
So in theory every installation by the Diy person has to have a certificate produced by them or they are not aderhing to Bs 7671 whether they pay a fee to building control shouldn't affect this requirement

If it is notified to building control and fee paid then they are resposible for test and inspection if they chose to do so ,but they can rely on the certificate which the Diy person should still produce,thats why Diy installation work could be obliterated overnight if there was the will

Most of them cant compose a certificate so are in breach of Bs7671 therefore the installations cant comply

Wishful thinking to imagine any policing of installation work :(

Reply to Building Control notification in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net