Bus bar chamber | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bus bar chamber in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all
Need some advice urgently regarding the extension and connection of a bus bar chamber
My first question is
I need to extend a feed cable ( currently supplying a three phase board ) (see pic below )to enable me to fit and tap of a bus bar chamber
To
a,re feed the existing board and secondly to enable me to supply a new 4 way mccb board
Can I through crimp 70mm cable and heat shrink or is there a better way
And secondly if I can extend and feed the bus bar chamber would I place a 160a isolator between the chamber and the new mccb panel
Struggling to find the answers so would really appreciate the advice
Thanks all

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Bus bar chamber
    AB766A98-7954-45D3-9736-218F0F061849.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 75
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] Bus bar chamber
    A8C8EF36-1E1B-4028-AC0B-F8B6E6612900.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 55
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. You need to extend an armoured cable and then once you've done that, supply an additional board off the end of it?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. You need to extend an armoured cable and then once you've done that, supply an additional board off the end of it?
Sorry a bit vague
I have to disconnect the cable from the existing dis board (see pic) to then feed a new bus bar chamber
the cable needs to be extended to do this (see pic) as very low and no length
Then the existing board will be powered from the new chamber
I also then have to power a new 4 way mccb board from the new chamber to ultimately feed an inverter for the solar array on the roof
Does this make any more sense
I’m struggling a bit to work out what to do for cost efficiency and correct installation

Maybe consider putting a bolted terminal box at the point where you need to extend the cable, split at that point. You'll need to consider two sets of protection as well, depends on what's upstream probably.

Sorry a bit vague
I have to disconnect the cable from the existing dis board (see pic) to then feed a new bus bar chamber
the cable needs to be extended to do this (see pic) as very low and no length
Then the existing board will be powered from the new chamber
I also then have to power a new 4 way mccb board from the new chamber to ultimately feed an inverter for the solar array on the roof
Does this make any more sense I’m struggling a bit to work out what to do for cost efficiency and correct installation
No feed the BBC from the load side of the Switch to allow isolation of the BBC for future feeds and maintenance purposes. common practice is that, may need to size the switch properly though.

Personally I'd be looking at a metal bus bar and crimped bolted lugs.

That existing 250A switch disconnector will have 6mm bolt terminals which will accept two lugs for parallel supplies, not ideal but there is no reason you cannot come direct from it.

No feed the BBC from the load side of the Switch to allow isolation of the BBC for future feeds and maintenance purposes. common practice is that, may need to size the switch
Evening all
Need some advice urgently regarding the extension and connection of a bus bar chamber
My first question is
I need to extend a feed cable ( currently supplying a three phase board ) (see pic below )to enable me to fit and tap of a bus bar chamber
To
a,re feed the existing board and secondly to enable me to supply a new 4 way mccb board
Can I through crimp 70mm cable and heat shrink or is there a better way
And secondly if I can extend and feed the bus bar chamber would I place a 160a isolator between the chamber and the new mccb panel
Struggling to find the answers so would really appreciate the advice
Thanks all

Hi guys as you can see from the pics would it be possible to install the bus bar chamber directly underneath the existing board would any ov you do this
Bare in mind really tight not much room
My question would be if you were asked to fit a chamber how would you go about this
I mentioned extending the armoured becouse seemed obvious to me and would allow me to place the chamber pretty much anywhere within limits but seems I’m opening a can ov worms hahaha

Provided the existing supply is okay for the additional load.
The mccb board will have one 160a three phase breaker on it feeding a solar inverter so if anything the load will be going the other way back into the system rather than drawing from it
Any issues guys with that ???
It’s what my gaffer states just needing to verify

What is the OCPD for the main cable and its size?

I presume it comes from either a MCCB board or some switched-fuse off the DNO cut-out / meter arrangement but knowing the above would allow you to verify it is OK for max current in either direction (load or generate).

I followed ya advice see attachment but having attempted to double bolt the incomer with my feed cable found there wasn’t the room for both bolts really short see pic above
So looks like a jo go
Any thoughts and ideas would be really welcome to make this happen thanks guys

Reply to Bus bar chamber in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net