Cable sizing question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cable sizing question in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky-Tom

As part of my HNC project I have to calculate the cable size for a SWA cable. It's 4 core (3ph and neutral) running in a trench with a 'roof' of concrete (theres a big air gap around the cable) with no other cables in the trench. The run is roughly 20m long.

I've looked in the 16th and 17th edition regs books, and I have made multiple searches on Google. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated :)

Tom

As part of my HNC project I have to calculate the cable size for a SWA cable. It's 4 core (3ph and neutral) running in a trench with a 'roof' of concrete (theres a big air gap around the cable) with no other cables in the trench. The run is roughly 20m long.

I've looked in the 16th and 17th edition regs books, and I have made multiple searches on Google. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Tom

Need more info...what load is it supplying?

Tom

I don't intend sounding snobby or to offend but you really should know this stuff if you are doing an HNC??

You would first need to ascertain the (Ib) of the circuit then select an appropriate protective device rating (In),apply any installation factors to it and select a cable with a tabulated rating (It) greater than (In) with any factors applied.

After that consider VD, shock protection (EFLI) & thermal constraints (adiabatic equation).

I think he is only asking for the installation method number, not how to calculate the cable size. I too often have trouble finding the numbers of different method numbers as classified in the BRB!! ....I always seem to find the one i'm after, is never a straight look up operation. ...lol!!!

I don't intend sounding snobby or to offend but you really should know this stuff if you are doing an HNC??

You're right I should know this stuff if I'm doing an HNC, but my HNC is more electronics based. This question is only for my project management module, not for a technical module. The project is to replace a transformer at a factory, the transformer is 11Kv to 3 phase 415v.

You would first need to ascertain the (Ib) of the circuit then select an appropriate protective device rating (In),apply any installation factors to it and select a cable with a tabulated rating (It) greater than (In) with any factors applied.

After that consider VD, shock protection (EFLI) & thermal constraints (adiabatic equation).

Lenny, could you give general values for these? The cable is feeding a busbar chamber in a workshop/plantroom with a load of up to 2000A per phase

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Reply to Cable sizing question in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net