Cables behind cooker | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cables behind cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to a customers house today to look at doing the kitchen wiring, and where he wants the new cooker is in a different place to the old one, which is not a problem but there's quite a few cables running down behind where the cooker will be.

I know its not a major issue but wondered if anyone else had come across this situation before, I didn't really know what to tell the customer apart from the oven gets hot and will be very close to the cables which will obviously get them warm, not hot, but warm them up enough to I guess potentially derate the ccc of them. I am as it happens not going to be touching them apart from clipping them neatly out the way, but will need to take a new ring in and cooker circuit behind the oven where the air will keep getting hot.

So I guess my issue is, I am not planning on doing anything with these cables as I am putting a new circuit in, but he wants them tidying up etc, if I boxed it in a bit I don't see it would make much difference as the air and the like will still get warm. I said to him, do you have to have the cooker there which he sais yes and that's the only option...

If you look at the images, you can see all the cables, and the picture is what is proposed to be there when finished. There is not back to the oven housing either.

Any thoughts on what I could do if anything?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Cables behind cooker [ElectriciansForums.net] Cables behind cooker [ElectriciansForums.net] Cables behind cooker

in a standard 600mm oven housing , the back of the actual oven will be a country mile away from the wall surface so just stick all the cables in some 38mm x 25mm pvc trunking if its behind the cupboard.
shouldnt be any problems

A bit of cable tidying, cable clips and simple boxing in. Or trunking.

Just make sure that whatever method you choose does not prevent the oven housing from going into position.

You will usually find there is a bit of space between rear of oven housing and the back wall. This gap will later be hidden from view with a decorative side panel. Often there is also some space between oven housing and side wall which is later hidden with a scribed filler piece.

I don't think much heat is dissipated from the rear of these built in ovens anyway. They are insulated. I am happy to be corrected though.

I was going if the side of caution not knowing entirely how much heat comes off the back having never sat my oven in the middle of the kitchen and cooked my dinner. Appreciate your comments, especially the asbestos sheet, hmm I wonder if I could salvage enough out if those old storage heaters... (Joke by the way)

Reply to Cables behind cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net