can an electrician remove boilers cover? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss can an electrician remove boilers cover? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking to do some practice on the boiler wiring in my own house. Can I take the boilers cover off? Some people say only gas safe engineer can do it. Is it true?

Normally what need an electrician do regarding the boiler wiring, maybe only the wiring of the stat and valve?

thanks a lot.

No work can be carried out upon any gas appliances except by Gas safe registered tradesmen; this includes removal of any covers etc,

You can certainly wire and connect all of the ancillary equipment associated with a heating system but cannot even connect the boiler,

So if we can get a similar system in place (electrical safe?) then unqualified gas fitters won't be able to connect boilers either; Hurrah chaos will reign...well to a degree.

This is a very grey area.
I brought this up recently when I did my ACS gas update. I'm an electrician who is also gas qualified because I work on a lot of gas boilers. There are so many electrical and electronic componants inside the average combi these days, most heating engineers havn't got a clue, it's an electricians domain.
The rule of thumb used to be, if it is part of the gas system you don't touch it. It is absolutely ridiculous to say an electrician can't connect the appliance up, but that IS what gas safe say if approached about it.
Oh, I got the highest marks in the theory tests too. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, a grey area. Gas safe do stipulate that nobody except a gas safe engineer should open a boiler. In my opinion, as long as you are not removing the working parts of the boiler, connecting the boiler and related controls to the electrical installation should be carried out by an electrician. I have seen the mess plumbers make of terminating flex!
Isn't it bizzare how I have to show competance to the level of the gas man to work on their toys, but a plumber can do a diluted defined scope part p course and he can play with our toys legally.

Tell me then chaps......what happens when your mate the "gas safe" plumbing and heating "engineer" rings you up because theres a fault on a boiler thats electrical so it's "your department"???

I freely admit to opening up and repairing faults on boilers, usually only after the gas safe man has told the customer to ring an electrician cos it's an electric problem.

I thought all heating engineers were super heroes who can fix any fault on any boiler, who needs an electrician???
I would dread to work in the technical department at Vokera or Baxi offering out advice to some of these guys.

Isn't it bizzare how I have to show competance to the level of the gas man to work on their toys, but a plumber can do a diluted defined scope part p course and he can play with our toys legally.
The stock answer that was given when I undertook Corgi training (a few years ago) was that the potential for harm is far greater on gas faults (ie explosive) with a larger amount of casulties.

Last week I was asked by a customer if I could sort out his newly installed combi boiler. Nothing strange there until you find out the heating system had been installed by a builder including the connection of mains supply and a wireless room stat. Once I removed the front panel things became more obvious bare and stray conductor filaments all over the place,that sorted onto the room stat incorrectly wired.
I sometimes feel sorry for the poor sod that has been misled by dodgy or unskilled incompetitant so called tradesmen

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worked on many boiler systems and you have to remove the cover to test the operation . Many of the new boilers have a drop out electrical connection which as far as I'm aware is allowed - according to the manufacturer . When it comes to old boilers - its always best to have a Gas engineer on hand to test .

ghost said:
I thought all heating engineers were super heroes who can fix any fault on any boiler, who needs an electrician???
I would dread to work in the technical department at Vokera or Baxi offering out advice to some of these guys.

Ha ha, spot on!

we recently had a briefing from senior engineering management from firmus energy (large industrial/domestic gas supplier in n.ireland) after having gas installed on site, regards what we could/could not do. their response was that, 'as long as you don't disturb the gas path' work away lads. this was seconded by a gas safe/oftec instructor i questioned whilst doin an oftec course( oil fired boilers)

Reply to can an electrician remove boilers cover? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net