Can you help or advise me please? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Can you help or advise me please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Braybrook

I my name is Stephanie. Two months ago I passed my Part P Domestic Installation, 17th Edition and City and Guild level 3. I have been working on sites to gain practical experience but am mostly doing general labouring s opposed to electrics. I am very keen to get appropriate training (not from scratch) and enquired about apprenticeships but was advised that this would be a waste of time as I have all ready got qualified and know all of the calculations, theory and regulations.
I anyone could have me work it them as a trainee I would greatly appreciate it. I am very hard working and learn quickly. I am also happy to commute.
Thank you for your time.

it's hard to get your foot on the ladder. this forum occasionally has requests from members for trainees, so keep looking. also contact contractors in your area. good luck with it.

I think a apprenticeship would benefit you and expand your knowledge and experience. Your existing quals will help you but they arnt the complete package as your probably realize.

I my name is Stephanie. Two months ago I passed my Part P Domestic Installation, 17th Edition and City and Guild level 3. I have been working on sites to gain practical experience but am mostly doing general labouring s opposed to electrics. I am very keen to get appropriate training (not from scratch) and enquired about apprenticeships but was advised that this would be a waste of time as I have all ready got qualified and know all of the calculations, theory and regulations.
I anyone could have me work it them as a trainee I would greatly appreciate it. I am very hard working and learn quickly. I am also happy to commute.
Thank you for your time.

What do you actualy mean by ''C&G level 3''?? C&G 2382 is a level 3 Qualification believe it or not!!

Stephanie, this is not an attempt to belittle you or what you have done thus far but to equate your qualifications with those of a time served electrician is pure folly on the behalf of those who have told you it would be a waste of your time to get an apprenticeship because you're qualified. Because you're not.
The qualifications you hold will enable you to be a housebasher with very little prospect of ever doing anything else and trust me, you'll soon get sick of house bashing.
If you want to progress into something more interesting, worthwhile (not to mention more lucrative) then an apprenticeship is your best course of action. However, if house bashing is all you're interested in doing then you're going to need experience and lots of it. Far too many people gain the quals you hold, get no practical experience and unleash themselves on an unsuspecting public. This invariably ends in tears for one or both parties.
Your best bet is to make a list of potential employers in your area and start working your way though it. You have one distinct advantage (and I'm not patronising you here) that is you're a woman. Lots of single or elderly women could/would be intimidated by a strange man bowling up at their doorstep.
I wish you the best of luck in your career and hope you get a meaningful fix soon.

Reply to Can you help or advise me please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net