Capping | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Capping in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark not sparks

Hi Chaps i am currently doing a flat refurb i have had a sparks in and he has chased the cables in below 50mm depth and clipped them with in the chase but not covered them with capping or conduit is this correct or should they be protected against the plaster ?

there is no rule or regulation that says you have to use capping. it is only used to protect the cables from the plasterers trowel. capping offers no other mechanical protection other than that.
if it is only the chase that is to be filled, then i dont see a problem with what your sparks has done

Johnboy for my sins i have borrowed a regs book 17th edition

chapter 52 522.5.3 Materials liable to cause mutual or individual deterioration or hazardous degradation shall not be place in contact with each other

any thoughts

modern plaster is not detrimental to modern cable. used to be that the old lime and horeshair plaster would attack the old rubber cable, but today's materials-- no problem.

i researched hard, (pennywise and telectrix's posts lol) and found that we are all corect!
i beleive that in the OSG, or BRB there is a table with suitability of deifferent cables on it. diont know the page numbers and aint got my OSG ect here to look

should not be a problem, but have a word with your spark, ask him if he is willing to cap that 1 wall because of the cement.

should not be a problem, but have a word with your spark, ask him if he is willing to cap that 1 wall because of the cement.

I always use capping because - rightly or wrongly - I think that if ever I need to replace or add a cable, I have some chance - albiet slim - of doing so if there's a length of capping there. If there wasn't then I would have no chance !!!

Reply to Capping in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net