Cat 5 cable query | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cat 5 cable query in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

glen.mason

Guys,

Would anyone know if a Cat 5 cable could also be used for a land line? Not at the same time, but instead of, i.e. converted to.
I'm curious to know what/why the difference is, they both carry pairs and both are of solid copper construction

The rate of twist of the pairs. Cat 5 has a specified "Characteristic impedance" of 100 Ohms, whereas the CW1308 telephone cable does not.

Cat 5 is inherently designed to work up into the 100MHz range and as such will work just as well on voice comms, and is likely to show an improvement over CW1308 in ADSL applications.

I use a variation of the central plug-in NTE5 filter which has two sets of connections - one for the voice circuit and one for the ADSL circuit. (The standard BT (Pressac) one only has voice connections)
With 4 pairs in the Cat 5 you can run both in the one cable, use a dual BT/RJ11 faceplate and it saves all those ugly microfilters everywhere.

Tip: Ensure the modem/router is connected to the end of the ADSL circuit. A leg of the radial extension circuit extending past the jack the modem/router is plugged into may cause signal reflections and a loss of performance.

Simon.

Reply to Cat 5 cable query in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated
Replies
Views
I would call an electrician.
Replies
Views
Back to the Men's Shed today to complete the installation of the 4 LED battens in the attic. These were a joy to fit, having screwed the units to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello oscar21, When I wrote about cables heating up I meant that IF a cable heated up that heat could not dissipate correctly if the cable was...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply littlespark. Yes the works have been carried out. Surely it is fraudulent because basically the document is Not...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks