Cat5e install | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cat5e install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SimpleSimon

Errr just realised that tomorrow Im.doing a job involving data points with Cat5e cable, I know the theory but never actually done an.install!!! Any last minute advice? Its only to two modular data points. Eek.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you're unsure about, CAT5e is fairly easy to install for gigabit ethernet. Try keep some separation between data and power cables, it doesn't matter if they cross each other but long runs together should be avoided. You might need to invest in an IDC connection tool or an ethernet plug crimping tool.

I'm not sure to be honest. The method of cable termination can vary according to the speed they're rated at. I would Google them and check the datasheet.

Just covering bases really Marvo, would I need a crimo tool even just doing the modular back?

depends on what you are connecting from.....

from a patch panel (front connection) or switch/hub you will need to terminate properly with rj45 crimp connectors, otherwise Yes from the rear of a patch panel - it would be bare wires both ends either using a punch tool or similar.

I assume you have details of of which wire goes where for rj45 crimps ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also recommend a basic lan tester to chack the terminations are right been a few times at the back of data experts and found theyd not kroned it right and hadnt checked.
CABLE TESTER FOR ETHERNET NETWORK LAN CAT5 CAT5E RJ45 RJ11 CABLING TRANSMITTER | eBay

i suppose as its only two ports if you couldnt get into maplins to buy one or borrow one you could use a regular multimeter and *******ise a patch lead and check each colour by doing an r1+r2 type continuity on them .probably poorly worded but i reckon youll get what i mean .

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well did the jack but didnt have a punch tool so dont think I got them in properly, I had the right sequence but guessing connections arent great ill reckon. Plus I dint realise it was going into the back of a server so.didnt have any plugs on me either. :/

If you used a screwdriver instead of a Krone IDC tool then the terminations will be beyond repair, at the very least the noise to signal ratios will be up the wall. I would just go back with the right kit and a new jack and redo from scratch.

Looking on the bright side the plugs, cable and even the jack points are cheap to buy.

Edit; If this is your first job with CAT5e then take at least three times the number of plugs that you think you need. Chances are you'll need a fair few spares.

Last edited:
If you used a screwdriver instead of a Krone IDC tool then the terminations will be beyond repair, at the very least the noise to signal ratios will be up the wall. I would just go back with the right kit and a new jack and redo from scratch.

Looking on the bright side the plugs, cable and even the jack points are cheap to buy.

Edit; If this is your first job with CAT5e then take at least three times the number of plugs that you think you need. Chances are you'll need a fair few spares.

Thanks for that last bit. I only thought it was going into the back of sockets so was like eeek didnt buy an RJ45 crimp thingy.

Can i ask a couple of questions about this install.
are you putting a wall port with a jack at the user end
by the sound of it you are teminating the server end with a plug and connecting it direct to the server /switch /router
if you are doing the above its not in my experience a common way to do the installs as this cable isnt very flexible and prone to cause problems sure there are other posts on the forum about it.
that said why not do the same at the "server end" as you do at the user end and have a wall box & port then use a proper fly lead to connect the two.
this is by far the easiest way to do very small installs.I have used this method for up to eight connections and when the surface mount boxes are on the wall behind the comms cab they dont look bad at all .
you can get throw away kroning tools but they can be a pain ,i am sure i saw the real thing in a well known orange diy chain not that long ago.
I really would recommend a lan tester or as i suggested use your multimeter and check each pair foe continuity by connecting the pairs with a cut in half patch lead attached to the jacks.I have to do this sometimes when i am checking 9 pin serial extensions that some clients use for kitchen printers .its ok but nowhere near as handy as a lan tester.

Below is the colour code for RJ45. Remember that because we are British, we always use colour code B. Enusre that you only strip enough cable, so that the sheath pushes right inside the plug, because the crimper will pinch onto that, and it ensures that the plug will not come off.
arrange the coresin order and flatten them out before pushing into the plug. If is starts going wrong, then pull it out and try again.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Cat5e install

Can i ask a couple of questions about this install.
are you putting a wall port with a jack at the user end
by the sound of it you are teminating the server end with a plug and connecting it direct to the server /switch /router
if you are doing the above its not in my experience a common way to do the installs as this cable isnt very flexible and prone to cause problems sure there are other posts on the forum about it.
that said why not do the same at the "server end" as you do at the user end and have a wall box & port then use a proper fly lead to connect the two.
this is by far the easiest way to do very small installs.I have used this method for up to eight connections and when the surface mount boxes are on the wall behind the comms cab they dont look bad at all .
you can get throw away kroning tools but they can be a pain ,i am sure i saw the real thing in a well known orange diy chain not that long ago.
I really would recommend a lan tester or as i suggested use your multimeter and check each pair foe continuity by connecting the pairs with a cut in half patch lead attached to the jacks.I have to do this sometimes when i am checking 9 pin serial extensions that some clients use for kitchen printers .its ok but nowhere near as handy as a lan tester.

This us exactly what I thought it was to do hence i didnt know there was a olug involved but thats how theyve set up all their ports so I want to follow the same.

Reply to Cat5e install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net