CCTV Kits | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss CCTV Kits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

soulman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi i need to install a 4 camera kit for a domestic situation, can anyone suggest a middle of the road complete kit including the monitor & a kit without monitor.

Cheers

Try System Q. They were very helpful. I've just installed @ my own house, 4 cameras ,vir, 12v supply box. All worked first time. I had already first fixed using shotgun cable. Look on there site for info/ideas etc whilst looking round.

Digi view do one 4 cameras dvr works through router so can access it via iphone/ ipad etc about 300.00 + vat at electric center

I have installed an 8 camera swann setup from maplins at my dads house that cost £400 and for domestic i think its brilliant and has all the bells and whistles including mobile monitoring on smartphones etc

"Hello Jimsparky and RyanCheetham",

Although I am no expert on even Domestic CCTV I also have 2 Swann CCTV DVR`s and various Cameras installed at my Home - 4 of the Cameras are Swann products - all of which I purchased from Maplin.

I originally bought a DVR and 2 `Super Night Vision` Cameras as seperate items to `Watch` my Car and Van / my House Gateway - unfortunately the DVR was a very basic one - not a Swann product and it malfunctioned 6 Days after the Warranty expired - and 1 Day before my Car bonnet was Vandalised !

When I needed to replace that DVR the most cost effective way was to purchase a CCTV Kit - 4 Way DVR plus 2 Cameras - this then allowed my existing 2 Cameras and the 2 New Cameras to be connected and obviously the CCTV Video Recorded.

I was so pleased with the Swann DVR and Cameras that I purchased another Swann 4 Way DVR and 2 Camera Kit to monitor the Back of my Home.

Originally I only wanted to get a CCTV System to `Watch` my Car and my Home`s Gateway - so I did not look at either a 4 Camera or 8 Camera DVR / DVR plus Camera Kits - that is why I ended up with 2 x DVR`s and some seperate Cameras - But my `Super Night Vision` [30 Metres Night Vision] Cameras are better for Night Vision than the Swann Cameras that are in the DVR and Camera Kits.

Those 2 `Super Night Vision` Cameras `Watch` my usual Car Parking spaces and the House`s Gateway.

From Memory of setting up the Definition configuration on the Swann DVR`s it is NOT possible to have all 4 Cameras on each DVR Recording in `Real Time` - approx. 25 Frames per Second.

I think that I remember I have had to set this up on the DVR`s so that the Frames per Second are `Shared` out between the Cameras - so that for example the Garden areas - where I am not expecting anyone to be in - are Recorded in much less Frames per Second to allow Real Time Recording for the `Main` Cameras - But a Screen Shot / Screen Capture might still be good enough to possibly Identify a person [as with any CCTV] and when Played back or viewed at X2 or X4 You can see exactly what has occurred.

The Swann Kits / DVR`s that I have can be connected to a Router and configured for viewing over the Internet - here is a Link to what I have from Maplin - although the Link does take You to the CCTV Kit I think that they are just out of stock or now unavailable / no longer sold [?] - but I am sure that there are other Models like this available:

500GB Network Security System with Smartphone viewing and 2 x 480TVL Cameras : CCTV Kits : Maplin Electronics

I would thouroughly recommend Swann CCTV Products for Domestic / Home use - BUT I certainly am NOT particularly knowledgeable about CCTV - just an `interested DIY User`.

However I should add that You need Download the CCTV Files onto a Flash Drive and then use the Playback Software supplied to Download and View the CCTV Video on your Computer - BUT this process does NOT allow You to Save the CCTV as a File that You can just Save and Play with for example Windows Media Player - as it is H264 Encrypted / Compressed Video.

To do that you have to obtain `AVI Generator` in order to convert those H264 Video into DVI Files to Save on your Computer - when I found this out after purchasing the first Swann DVR I contacted Swann Technical Support who Emailed a Link to Me for Downloading that Software.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello Jimsparky and RyanCheetham",

Although I am no expert on even Domestic CCTV I also have 2 Swann CCTV DVR`s and various Cameras installed at my Home - 4 of the Cameras are Swann products - all of which I purchased from Maplin.

I originally bought a DVR and 2 `Super Night Vision` Cameras as seperate items to `Watch` my Car and Van / my House Gateway - unfortunately the DVR was a very basic one - not a Swann product and it malfunctioned 6 Days after the Warranty expired - and 1 Day before my Car bonnet was Vandalised !

When I needed to replace that DVR the most cost effective way was to purchase a CCTV Kit - 4 Way DVR plus 2 Cameras - this then allowed my existing 2 Cameras and the 2 New Cameras to be connected and obviously the CCTV Video Recorded.

I was so pleased with the Swann DVR and Cameras that I purchased another Swann 4 Way DVR and 2 Camera Kit to monitor the Back of my Home.

Originally I only wanted to get a CCTV System to `Watch` my Car and my Home`s Gateway - so I did not look at either a 4 Camera or 8 Camera DVR / DVR plus Camera Kits - that is why I ended up with 2 x DVR`s and some seperate Cameras - But my `Super Night Vision` [30 Metres Night Vision] Cameras are better for Night Vision than the Swann Cameras that are in the DVR and Camera Kits.

Those 2 `Super Night Vision` Cameras `Watch` my usual Car Parking spaces and the House`s Gateway.

From Memory of setting up the Definition configuration on the Swann DVR`s it is NOT possible to have all 4 Cameras on each DVR Recording in `Real Time` - approx. 25 Frames per Second.

I think that I remember I have had to set this up on the DVR`s so that the Frames per Second are `Shared` out between the Cameras - so that for example the Garden areas - where I am not expecting anyone to be in - are Recorded in much less Frames per Second to allow Real Time Recording for the `Main` Cameras - But a Screen Shot / Screen Capture might still be good enough to possibly Identify a person [as with any CCTV] and when Played back or viewed at X2 or X4 You can see exactly what has occurred.

The Swann Kits / DVR`s that I have can be connected to a Router and configured for viewing over the Internet - here is a Link to what I have from Maplin - although the Link does take You to the CCTV Kit I think that they are just out of stock or now unavailable / no longer sold [?] - but I am sure that there are other Models like this available:

500GB Network Security System with Smartphone viewing and 2 x 480TVL Cameras : CCTV Kits : Maplin Electronics

I would thouroughly recommend Swann CCTV Products for Domestic / Home use - BUT I certainly am NOT particularly knowledgeable about CCTV - just an `interested DIY User`.

However I should add that You need Download the CCTV Files onto a Flash Drive and then use the Playback Software supplied to Download and View the CCTV Video on your Computer - BUT this process does NOT allow You to Save the CCTV as a File that You can just Save and Play with for example Windows Media Player - as it is H264 Encrypted / Compressed Video.

To do that you have to obtain `AVI Generator` in order to convert those H264 Video into DVI Files to Save on your Computer - when I found this out after purchasing the first Swann DVR I contacted Swann Technical Support who Emailed a Link to Me for Downloading that Software.

Regards,

Chris
My system also saves h264 files, but I found that if you rename the extensions to mpeg then they play just fine without any conversion. Neat eh! Daz

I have installed an 8 camera swann setup from maplins at my dads house that cost £400 and for domestic i think its brilliant and has all the bells and whistles including mobile monitoring on smartphones etc

I've got one too 1 terabite hard drive, easy to install and use, had a couple of probs setting it up on the internet so I cold view it on my phone but tech help soon sorted me out ,it plugs into any monitor with VGA or TV ,Maplins are pretty good these days

Reply to CCTV Kits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net