Certification for shop rewire | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Certification for shop rewire in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am slightly puzzled about this, if a commercial ground floor shop is to get rewired using a single phase consumer unit and it has a three phase supply but only one phase is supplying the shop and the other 2 phases are supplying different property's upstairs not belonging to the shop or in any way connected by any electrical circuit. Would you just treat this is a single phase supply when documenting this on the EIC or would you say it's a three phase supply?

At the main intake there is 3 fuses. One supply's the meter for the old rewireable single phase board which is getting changed and the other two fuses each supply a cable running back into void in the wall which travels upstairs to supply another customers premises so they must have their own meters upstairs.

At the main intake there is 3 fuses. One supply's the meter for the old rewireable single phase board which is getting changed and the other two fuses each supply a cable running back into void in the wall which travels upstairs to supply another customers premises so they must have their own meters upstairs.

The 2 separate cables running upstairs supplying the two other premises should if installed correctly have switch fuses installed to those tails. Is the location of the incoming DNO supply, in a ''common area'' that is accessible to all residents??

I have seen this before , but mainly on council houses . Have the two spare supplies which are going upstairs got red fuse holders , as if I remember correctly these are just solid links allowing the incoming cables to loop up to another head in a neighbouring property and so saving the DNO from having to bring in extra separate supply cables to the building !? I think this subject came up a few years ago and I think it was Engineer 54 pointed out that they were solid links , as I had thought they had proper fuses inside of them ?

First of all it's not in a common area for all customers to access, I have seen this in a few premises in this area, it's a bit crazy to me!! I think maybe years ago the building mite have been owned by one company and then divided up! That's just my suggestion. As for the links in the fuse carrier, this could be a possibility, and maybe the have another supply fuse in there own property. I can only pull the one fuse as it's not tagged and only supply's the shop. I can't really break the tag and pull the others just for a look!!

I'd put money on it not being a TP supply anyway. Mesure between each of the suspected phases and find out. Chances are it is the supplier who has split the supplies (one for business use and one/two for residential use) over three main fuses on one phase for the purpose of metering and nothing else. It is quite common where I am.

I'd put money on it not being a TP supply anyway. Mesure between each of the suspected phases and find out. Chances are it is the supplier who has split the supplies (one for business use and one/two for residential use) over three main fuses on one phase for the purpose of metering and nothing else. It is quite common where I am.

but for that to happen the dno will have to pretty much limit the 3 fuses to just 40A each if its from a single phase service cable.
they wont even risk 60A per head if its 16mm , which it probably is.

a picture from the op would decide 1 way or another :)

- - - Updated - - -

Has it got neutral

eh ?
lol.

but for that to happen the dno will have to pretty much limit the 3 fuses to just 40A each if its from a single phase service cable.
they wont even risk 60A per head if its 16mm , which it probably is.

Nope, I've seen 3 100A heads on a single 16mm supply. I phoned UKPN to tell them and they weren't in the least bothered about it. Seems the regs they work to are somewhat carefree when it comes to cable selection! :D

Reply to Certification for shop rewire in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net