Change Wylex board | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Change Wylex board in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Atco

I've been asked to change somebody's old wylex board to a new dual rcd one, however there is only one ring main and one lighting circuit for the whole house. My question is would I need to split these circuits to bring the installation up to 17 th standards or is ok to just do a straight swap from one board to another

I've been asked to change somebody's old wylex board to a new dual rcd one, however there is only one ring main and one lighting circuit for the whole house. My question is would I need to split these circuits to bring the installation up to 17 th standards or is ok to just do a straight swap from one board to another

On a consumer unit change, you would not be expected to do that, you could note it in the 'comments on the existing installation' box on your EIC.

Have a read of this: http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG6_09.pdf

Rather than a dual rcd board could you use rcbo's and enclosure? Is there an electric cooker/hob or gas, how old is the wiring?

I took the op to mean should he physically split the circuits, as in create 2 lighting circuits...

It would be interesting to know the size of the property and age of wiring, has it got one socket in each room or tons of additions, it may be due a rewire.

It is a 3 bed semi built around late seventies early eighties. It looks fairly modern and at first glance I didn't see any obvious bodges. My concern was whether I needed to split the circuits into upstairs and downstairs lights and sockets etc. I'm sure I've read somewhere about making sure circuits are split so you wouldn't for example lose all lights should a rcd trip

It is a 3 bed semi built around late seventies early eighties. It looks fairly modern and at first glance I didn't see any obvious bodges. My concern was whether I needed to split the circuits into upstairs and downstairs lights and sockets etc. I'm sure I've read somewhere about making sure circuits are split so you wouldn't for example lose all lights should a rcd trip

That's what I thought and you have no obligation to alter the existing circuits, faults excluded of course.
As per previous posts, as long as those 2 circuits are protected by RCBO's or separate RCD's on a dual board then you've done your bit.

Seems a rather Spartan setup though!

Last edited:
Listen I hear what is being said here but my thinking is the customer may want to change the DB once so if he or she is going to do it then I would install a split board yes I know it would be overkill but at least if they need to add circuits in the future ie electric shower , seperate supply for CH, external light circuits I fitted one in my daughters flat she 5 circuits so I blanked off the rest and left the 40A breaker in for future use ie a shower or if she sells then the facility is there to do opposed to " o there is no electric shower and the DB will have to be upgraded so i dont want the stress" comment

Reply to Change Wylex board in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net