changing from a freestanding electric cooker to a double oven and hob need advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss changing from a freestanding electric cooker to a double oven and hob need advice in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tamgunner

hi guys im getting rid of my freestanding cooker and i have a double oven and hob going in. but want to check a few things.

1. i know that the double oven is rated at 5.1kw nothing on the hob to say what the rating is both have 6mm cable attached could i run them from the one outlet thats already there if i change the switch in the kitchen and the mcb at the cu? i know that the mcb is 32amp so i assume the switch is to? if i replace the mcb with a 40amp and the switch with a 45amp would that be ok?

2. i dont know what the wire is going from the cu to the cooker switch in the kitchen my mate thinks it would be 10mm is this an issue?

anything else i need to think about before wiring it up?

hi guys im getting rid of my freestanding cooker and i have a double oven and hob going in. but want to check a few things.

1. i know that the double oven is rated at 5.1kw nothing on the hob to say what the rating is both have 6mm cable attached could i run them from the one outlet thats already there if i change the switch in the kitchen and the mcb at the cu? i know that the mcb is 32amp so i assume the switch is to? if i replace the mcb with a 40amp and the switch with a 45amp would that be ok?​ You will need to check that the cable supply your existing cooker can take the upgraded protection device

2. i dont know what the wire is going from the cu to the cooker switch in the kitchen my mate thinks it would be 10mm is this an issue? if it's 10mm then there is a chance you could upgrade to a larger protection device, but you will need to be a little more technical than ...my mate thinks

anything else i need to think about before wiring it up?

........................................Really something like this you may find it advantageous to get an electrician in

"anything else i need to think about before wiring it up?"

Yes, think about calling an electrician. No don't think, call an electrician! You clearly have no idea what you are doing, and you're thinking of playing around with circuit breakers? That is a sure fire way to win a Darwin Award!

i do know what im doing the cable from the cu to the switch is 10mm then its 10mm to the outlet the cooker switch is 45amp and the mcb is 32amp!

Sorry but in you original post you used the words "I assume, I don't know, my mate thinks". So forgive me for thinking you don't know what you're doing.

Am I right in thinking, after reading your other posts, that you're a practising electrician???

Find out the power consumption for the hob, the plate is there somewhere, add it to the oven, apply diversity, and I'm sure a 32a mcb will be fine.

Sorry but in you original post you used the words "I assume, I don't know, my mate thinks". So forgive me for thinking you don't know what you're doing.

Am I right in thinking, after reading your other posts, that you're a practising electrician???

Find out the power consumption for the hob, the plate is there somewhere, add it to the oven, apply diversity, and I'm sure a 32a mcb will be fine.

i said that cause i hadnt checked the wiring or the switch and i spoke to my mate who is a spark but i checked them there and thats what i have. ive double checked the hob and all it has is on it is how to wire it and 32a where u wire it up

i said that cause i hadnt checked the wiring or the switch and i spoke to my mate who is a spark but i checked them there and thats what i have. ive double checked the hob and all it has is on it is how to wire it and 32a where u wire it up

from what i can find online the hob is 5.5kw

5.1 and 5.5 is 10.6kw so that would be 43.75Kw so diversity would be 10amp + 30% of 43.75 = 23.125 if you have a socket incorporated into your cooker switch you need to add 5amps to that so at worse case it would be 28 amps.

So your existing is plenty

nah its just a switch doesnt have a socket incoprated into it

My advice would be to invite your mate around for a drink and let them see the situation in the flesh and advise accordingly.

The fact you have a sparks as a mate who can advise will be far better than a bunch of us heathens here blindly offering advice.

Without seeing the situation you have it's unusual for a 10mm cooker feed on a 32A mcb to be sat there already (maybe if it's a brand new place it's more likely) as often it's only a 6.0mm feed....it might even be 10mm because of the distance from the consumer unit for all we know.

too many variable's and possibilities...

Reply to changing from a freestanding electric cooker to a double oven and hob need advice in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net