changing light fixtures | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss changing light fixtures in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
people do you all believe it is ok when changing light fittings, to use connector block and push into ceiling.... would you tape connector block up..??? cheers for your views

bad practice, if there is not enough room in the dome of the fitting, especially if it is 3-plated. if the plate is wide enough you could always cut a round dryliner in and put the connector blocks in that

people do you all believe it is ok when changing light fittings, to use connector block and push into ceiling.... would you tape connector block up..??? cheers for your views

Like other posters, I wouldn't do it at all. Wagos all the way, and in the case of lighting, in a maintenance free JB.

I think i've missed the boat on all this wago block lark? what can a wago block do that a conector block cant? plus im not limited to how many cales go into a conector block. please fill me in!

ta, Jason

I think i've missed the boat on all this wago block lark? what can a wago block do that a conector block cant? plus im not limited to how many cales go into a conector block. please fill me in!

ta, Jason

Without condoning the above practice, a Wago connector is easier and quicker to use and you only need 2 hands not 3.
Also I think you will find that you are limited to the number of cables in a connector. Try fitting 8 into one and being sure that all 8 are secure.

Wago's come into their own when doing a large heating jb.

ta, Jason
wagos or hellacon connectors. push in maintenance free, up to 8 ends ( 1.0mm - 2.5mm ) in one block. google "wago" or " helacon". but don't make the mistake some of us have done by putting a L and a N in ther same block!! nice bang!

had a look at wago;s can the be used for conecting lenghts of cable together even tho they prefer 1 complete run......?? thanks if ya reply, im only 2nd year with little expierience of real electrical world.. Trev<<<<<< loves info

I just love the wago's especially the nice big ones that are rated for 6mm and 41 amps ,dont use much terminal block now these wagos are so good for loops in light fittings push them in and away you go brill

BS7671 at 526.5 advises all terminations and joints to be made within an accessory or an appropriate enclosure, this means fitting a light will require the connector block, wago or helacons to be placed inside a round dry liner, wago box, steel box, in the dome or body of the light or similar. Really difficult when you are just asked to put up a new light, especially when there will likely be wooden grounds in the way. Most customers will not want you cutting holes in their ceilings. If the light is on a ceiling downstairs this could mean lifting floorboards above to fit the enclosure to house the connections. A lot of hassle and expense to fit a new light. But seems to me necessary in order to comply with the regs. I just completed an NICEIC inspection and the inspector did check to see how my recessed lights were terminated, luckily they were in wago boxes.

Reply to changing light fixtures in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net