Charging for testing before commencing any work? - Domestic | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Charging for testing before commencing any work? - Domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

Oh well, just been informed that a client chose another quote over mine just because I wanted to charge them 100 quid for an intial inspection and test. My reasoning was I was expecting to find a number of faults on the installation.

Apparently I was the only one that wanted to charge for this. Now I'm new to the game but I don't see why I should spend ex amount of hours testing an installation just for a client to decide that they no longer want to proceed with the work should there be underlying issues. I did state that if all test results came back satisfactory then the charge would be subtracted from the initial quote.

Perhaps the charge is too steep? but when youre quoting 900 quid for a job and they're not keen on making a small payment of 100 quid then it kind of gives the wrong impression. On the other hand, I guess the client could feel the same way?

Win some lose some I guess, I won't be losing sleep over it because it looked like a right mare of a job. If someone goes in there without testing first then I'd expect them to be experiencing a few issues before the end ;)

Does anyone see any problems with my approach or able to add a little critique? I think it may have been a godsend on this occasion but I don't want to see this continue to lose me work in the future.

Thanks in advance

1SC

Oh well, just been informed that a client chose another quote over mine just because I wanted to charge them 100 quid for an intial inspection and test. My reasoning was I was expecting to find a number of faults on the installation.

Apparently I was the only one that wanted to charge for this. Now I'm new to the game but I don't see why I should spend ex amount of hours testing an installation just for a client to decide that they no longer want to proceed with the work should there be underlying issues. I did state that if all test results came back satisfactory then the charge would be subtracted from the initial quote.

Perhaps the charge is too steep? but when youre quoting 900 quid for a job and they're not keen on making a small payment of 100 quid then it kind of gives the wrong impression. On the other hand, I guess the client could feel the same way?

Win some lose some I guess, I won't be losing sleep over it because it looked like a right mare of a job. If someone goes in there without testing first then I'd expect them to be experiencing a few issues before the end ;)

Does anyone see any problems with my approach or able to add a little critique? I think it may have been a godsend on this occasion but I don't want to see this continue to lose me work in the future.

Thanks in advance

1SC

what was the job they wanted doing?

Property was a flat - in a block 2 ground floor and first floor (think there was eight in total) built in the 1960's Work was - Kitchen and bathroom alterations. New cooker and shower circuits, extractor fan, some lights fitting and a replacement CU - Then whilst at the property the husband said that there may be no earth in the lighting circuits so could I do a seperate quote for this AND replace all the sockets and switches and rewire an outside light.

The earthing arrangement appeared to be non existent, add this to the lack of earth at the lights and it just started sending signs... and NO not £££££ Signs lol The position of the Consumer Unit was in onbe of the smallest boxes I have ever seen above a door way. Also had underfloor economy 7 heating?

The wife sent me an email with some drawings that was requested whilst I was there and the only work she requested a quote for was the bathroom and kitchen alterations extractor fan and replacement consumer unit.

You are probably better off without it mate to be fair, can and worms spring to mind.

Having said that I would not have spent hours and hours testing, but I would have carried out some essential tests and a thorough visual to get a feel for the place/s.

Some you win, some you lose!, if they are going to skimp on relatively minor costs at this stage, then that tells you all you need to know.

I cannot help but feeling you are better off without this :censored:

Last edited:
It honestly sounds to me that they just want the cheapest job possible, and are not bothered if it is done properly or not, until it bites them in the ---, and then guess who would be out of pocket for putting it right.

Bear in mind, before I get the wrath of many who will have much better business sense than my utter failure level, I speak from personal choice not business sense

1SC you may not like this attitude of mine
icon7.png

This practice of going to price a job and spending whatever amount of time testing and getting into possible scrapes and frustration with the dilemma of whether it was needed, or how much to charge, or doing it for your own piece of mind,this never affects me

I take a look at the job and have a nose around and get a feel for whats going to be straightforward or what looks awkward ,cast my eyes at the incomer and dist board set up and jump in with what I think its worth

If a job gives me problems,I get them sorted,if its sweet as a nut,all well and good
As far as being paid to assess whether the job I am pricing should first have a test and inspection, that benefits me as much as the client,I dont do that, and can well understand that client being a little reserved with their assessment of the motive of the tradesman

I do warn the client that problems could occur,but add that I will try and sort them out whilst I'm doing the job,getting paid for that is not discussed

1SC you may not like this attitude of mine
icon7.png

Everyone has their own way of doing things and you have the experience that enables you to judge an installation on what you see. Me, I have to go through these procedures so that I can develop this sense:D

The property I was looking at I was completely unfamiliar with. Never done a flat before especially not one in a block so not aware of how or where the earthing is usually achieved?

Here's a few very poor pictures 022.jpg023.jpg024.jpg

I suppose my fear is getting towards the end of a job and something bites me in the arse really hard. The chap I used to work with used to get frantic when it came to testing on a Friday. Used to get himself into a right state and a lot of the unecesary cursing got taken out on me when I knew that I had done no wrong. I prefer to know what the crack is before I start ripping things apart because then I am armed with "This is not right" and they can't say "Well it was fine until you started" :)

I do warn the client that problems could occur,but add that I will try and sort them out whilst I'm doing the job,getting paid for that is not discussed

When you say it doesn't get discussed does that mean you add money on at the end of the job or you just don't charge for it?

I always do a written quote and push the cooling off period approach etc. Pricing at the moment takes me a very long time as I have to look up the cost of items then add how long I think it will take, add a bit more on and then go in with a figure that I am happy with. Probably a little high I imagine on occasions but I like to think I sell myself well.

The woman clearly wore the trousers at that flat and the fact that she shot off when I arrived and returned as I was leaving probably didn't do me any favours because she wasn't able to judge my character :)

I certainly won't be losing sleep over it that is one thing for sure :D

I can well understand that you dont want any surprises on a job and dont see a problem with your decision

When you say it doesn't get discussed does that mean you add money on at the end of the job or you just don't charge for it?
I did say at the start that I have no sense when comes to business With that in mind it will not surprise you that I just dont charge

The photo you posted would have had me umming quietly to myself,not the best set up was it.
Your description of the customer would also have had me edging towards the exit

Again I dont for a moment advize my ways to anyone
My own procedure in the end gives me a good living and has provided regular work,I wont ever be rich in a money sense, but am satisfied with the good and respectfull feelings off the community where I live for the service I provide

Its a dog eat dog world out there mate and if you go around demanding money for testing before even giving a quote well....you're gonna get eaten by a dog.
Personally I'd only do it if it was a huge job, to ascertain wether total rewire was in order.
Just price for worst case scenario.
When I price a C/U upgrade I usually give them a written warning that any faulty circuits cannot be reconnected until repaired (at an extra charge). That being said, if they do not want, for example, to spend £200 rectifying a shared neutral and then have their hall repainted, well, Im not gonna walk off and leave them in the dark am I. I like to actually get paid for the work I do.

the odd time i quote for cu changes i always state in the write estimate that there maybe faults that only come to lite after testing has been carried out and these faults would be rectified on a daywork baisis!
where possible i always run new circuits as i try not to connect onto existing so i dont inherite the circuit and any existing problems also i known how its wired and where its wired.
as for charging the £100 for a test before you start thats up to you but i wouldn't expect to win many jobs doing this. supose you could try combine it in your price??

like some one said your prob better off without it!

Reply to Charging for testing before commencing any work? - Domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net