CK Electrician's premium tool kit?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss CK Electrician's premium tool kit?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jake Hughes

Im about to start my apprenticeship next month and i saw one of these on screwfix and everyone is raving about it. But its £199 does anyone know were i can find one cheaper would be appreciated.

I wouldn't mate. I bought one at the start of my apprenticeship and the only thing I haven't replaced is the long nose pliers (they rarely get used). Use the kit as kind of a list and build up from the most important things that you'll need straight away (snips, terminal driver, etc) to the things you won't need as often (rethreading tool, adjustable spanners, etc.). That way you'll get to know the brands you can afford and like/trust.

As a general rule if you need to borrow something more than twice you should probably own one! (Obviously not including the likes of power tools and testers straight away).

Back to the OP, I applaud your approach to get yourself a set of tools and this kit wouldn't be a bad start IMHO.

BUT wait and see if your employer gives you some first before you blow your first pay packet!

I've used loads of CK kit in the past and it's all pretty good quality, if you look at the prices of the individual bits of it you'd pay way over £200 for them so I think it's a bit of a bargain. I know a couple of lads who have this kit and they have no complaints

Would the company not allow you to purchase tools on their account then you reimburse them. You could save 20% straight away on VAT if they are registered plus possible discounted rates from the wholesalers.

To be fair it is quite good gear, I have most of that kit plus snips and wire cutters and it does the job well. The case is is a good organizer too to check it out and check it in at a glance.

Make sure to shop around

I spotted a wallet with 6 screwdrivers and a pair of wiha snips for £26 ex vat

Its the slim line wiha screw drivers and 200mm side cutters. £50 anywhere else.

Always be on the lookout for deals as you will lose/break at least one screwdriver/snips at some point.

If you have to supply tools get parents to look at vat as you can claim certain things back

They will supply me with PE but i gotta get my own tools, and its worth a ask to see if they will let me aha, just stumbled across one for £139.99 plus VAT tempting

Dont the bag is terrible. You will quickly find the bag is too small. By the time you have hacksaw etc in there you will have to empty it everytime to find anything (the zips tend to buckle first)

I started off with this kit many moons ago lol. Got it about 3months in to my apprenticeship....best thing I did. I still use CK now.
Only things I replace on a 'regular basis'; about 2 years, is the snips and terminal driver but they do get abused most.

As for space...if you put things in the little sleeves etc and not dump everything in middle pocket its fine. A hacksaw will fit in the middle...just do it blade down!!! I nearly lost a finger once hahahah. The amount of materials you can get in middle pocket makes it like mary poppins bag!!! I used to carry drill, batteries and charger in the middle pocket.

The zips on mine NEVER went/got stuck...in the end it was the strap adjuster that broke. It lasted maybe 4 years until that.

Jake, well done for being pro active and having some initiative, if your in a position financially to buy this set then get it.

I use ck tools a lot and they only tend to fail due to my heavy handedness or incompetence :)

The worst thing an apprentice can do is turn up with little or no tools and then constantly ask to borrow everyone else's, so your doing the right thing mate.

Amazon have a set of insulated screwdriver (THE ONES YOU SLOT THE BLADES IN,NOT TORQUE JUST PLAIN DRIVERS) for £20 + P&P a good deal normally £49 ish
Pete999

"Would the company not allow you to purchase tools on their account then you reimburse them. You could save 20% straight away on VAT if they are registered plus possible discounted rates from the wholesalers."

The company would have to account for the VAT if they are reimbursed (i.e. re-selling the tools), otherwise it's VAT fraud. But they could pass on their discount from the wholesalers.

The most expensive way , but easiest is to buy good quality tools from the tool vans that visit the sites , you can open an account and pay weekly ; that way you do not miss the money . Most of the better vans offer a lifetime guarantee on there gear too, to be honest I think CK do too.

for an apprentice, wickes do driver sets, cutters, pliers etc. at sensible prices. way good value for money. look suspiciously like re-badged CK.

They used to be re-badged draper expert my mate Paul always used to buy them.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] CK Electrician's premium tool kit??
    VDE-Screwdriver-And-Plier-Set_small.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 34
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] CK Electrician's premium tool kit??
    draper-09914-expert-10-piece-vde-approved-fully-insulated-screwdriver-and-pliers-set-378-p[ekm]2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 30
They used to be re-badged draper expert my mate Paul always used to buy them.

For what you pay for it that Draper rebadged stuff is excellent value, well the screwdrivers are (and I know loads of lads that use them).
I needed a new pair of snips a few years back and had mentioned it to Mrs Trev, she rang me one lunchtime to tell me she'd bought me a pair. I asked her where she got them and how much they were. £6.00 from wickes, they were as blunt as assholes. I went out at the weekend and bought a proper pair

Reply to CK Electrician's premium tool kit?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net