Cleaning a Magnetic Filter without an isolation valve plumbing advice | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter i3_happy
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 171

Discuss Cleaning a Magnetic Filter without an isolation valve plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cleaning a Magnetic Filter without an isolation valve Hello All,

We have a Vaillant boiler, it has an advanced protection kit fitted that gives it a 10 year warranty. My understanding is that this is essentially a magnetic filter that captures all the deposits before the enter the boiler and contaminate it, thus invalidating your warranty.

I have a Vaillant Engineer yesterday to do it's first service and he didn't actually open up the filter to clean it out, I questioned him about it twice, at which point he extracted some water from it and said it's clean anyway. Being sceptical I did some research and it seems this filter MUST be opened and cleaned every year.

I had a go at it myself after looking at this excellent video on youtube

The problem is, I just realised there is no incoming isolation valve into the filter. There is only an isolation valve at the boiler end. To me that means you'd have to drain down the whole system (it's a comni boiler) to simply clean the filter? Is that correct?

I'm assuming without an incoming isolation valve the water will simply keep gushing out as soon as I open the filter up?

I'd rather not go another year before it's cleaned. The original installer I believe has made a big mistake in not fitting an inbound isolation valve.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cleaning a Magnetic Filter without an isolation valve to read more on the original thread at Plumbing Advice

See also UK Plumbing Advice for all UK plumbing advice needs.

Reply to Cleaning a Magnetic Filter without an isolation valve plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net